Very low water pressure in house

Old 05-08-07, 02:21 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Very low water pressure in house

My house is 6 years old and when we first moved in the water pressure at all the fixtures was fantastic. I could run 3-4 large sprinkler heads in the yard at one time and still take a shower without loss of water volume. But in the past year the pressure has dropped dramatically. Most of the faucets can barely fill a gallon jug in 3-4 minutes. Can't run one sprinkler head for more than a couple of yards. All the faucets in the house...shower, sinks, tubs, etc. show the same symtoms. Last summer I used a gas powered pressuer washer and was told that these can cause the pressure regulator valves to malfunction. Not sure if that's accurate, but who knows it might be. I figure that something is clogging the main line coming into the house since all the fixtures inside and out are affected. My neighbors all have good water pressure, so I don't think is a problem from the water company.

Question: Can a pressure washer really cause the PRV to malfunction? Can the PRV clog partially or can the valve be partially closed? How easy are they to clean or should I just replace it? I hate to replace it if that is not the cause of the problem.

Thanks for any insight you might be able to give.

Old 05-08-07, 02:42 PM
C
CSG
1st. All your faucets and sprinklers have screen in them. They collect calcium built up, dirt, and other debris. I would start by cleaning all of these out by removed the tops of the sprinklers and the part of the faucets where the water comes out.

Also you can remove your shower heads and clean them.

If this doesn't help post back. I would definitely start there though.

Also, what is the pressure at your hose hook-ups outside? Same as the faucets inside? If the answer is yes then your problem most likely is the PRV.

Old 05-08-07, 03:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
To further CSG's comments, the PRV can be affected by sand and other sediments in your water system, so if all the other diagnoses fail, it is probably the prv.

Old 05-09-07, 05:35 AM
W
Checked the screens on the faucets

I checked the screens on the faucets. Everything seems to appear clean. I measured the pressue at the outside faucet furthest from the meter and I get 57psi. Thought this was about normal. I've removed the shower head completely in the past month and ran the water straight out of the pipe but the volume is still pretty low. Doesn't seem to make a difference much with or without the shower head (just disperses it better with the shower head). I have one outside faucet about 20 feet from the meter with nothing between it and the meter except the PRV. It has no screen, just a hose faucet. It shows the same symtoms as the rest of the house. This is one of the reasons I suspected the PRV.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: