Cast iron pipe replacement question

Old 05-09-07, 11:37 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cast iron pipe replacement question

I have a cast iron soil stack that is suffering from the "graphitization corrosion" described in this article
<http://irc.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/ui/bu/grayfailuretype_e.html>
and need to replace it - it is about a 5 ft section in the basement that comes up off a Y branch with cleanout on the basement floor, and the pipe that feeds it is copper going into the upper flange. Top and bottom, lead & oakum I assume. ( House is 40 years old or so ).

What is the best solution for replacement and how easy is this going to be? I've worked with all the other types of plumbing but I certainly do not have access to molten lead. One of corroded areas is right at the bottom, so cutting and splicing with the sleeve probably will not provide the best solution, therefore I want to remove the section completely. How easy is it to remove the pipe at the Y branch? Up above it should be an easy cut off from the copper feed. Are adapters available that allow use of other materials like copper or plastic to transition into the Y branch without the use of molten lead?

Thanks.

Old 05-09-07, 12:18 PM
C
CSG
If you can get ahole of an angle grinder with a diamond blade..i find it is the easiest way to cut the stuff anymore.

If you don't have a good piece coming out of the wye, i would cut the whole thing out.

By yourself some fernco's (black rubber couplers with clamps on ecah end) and some DWV PVC Sch 40 pipe and WYE to replace what you have there.

It is really a piece of cake.

Old 05-10-07, 03:20 PM
Be sure to strap everything in place before you cut anything or you can have a bad day. When in doubt, cut out more than you think you need, but always leave enough pipe for the fernco connection.

Use a grinder or rented snap cutter, you'll be done with demo before you know it.

Old cast iron is heavy, remember this if any work is over you. Where safety glasses also.

Look at shielded ferncos and PVC/ABS piping.

Take your time and have fun.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: