hot water knocking

Old 05-10-07, 11:43 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
hot water knocking

Although nothing new has been replaced/installed, recently, when starting the wash machine (located on 1st floor), a significant knocking sometimes develops which is relieved by briefly opening a hot water faucet on the 2nd floor. It is also the case that this faucet sputters out some significant dripping in parallel with the pipe noise. Once the faucet is opened and closed, the knocking stops as does the dripping. Other times, the start of wash machine does not trigger the knocking by itself but running the kitchen hot water (on 1st floor) within minutes may trigger it. The remedy is the same regarding the 2nd floor hot water faucet. Didn't used to happen. Hot water heater is old but no noticeable problems.
Suggestions or advice appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-10-07, 12:20 PM
C
CSG
Do you have any kind of recirculating system installed on your hot water?

Old 05-10-07, 12:25 PM
R
none as far as I can tell.

Old 05-10-07, 12:39 PM
C
CSG
That is a toughy. Do you have hammer arrestors at your washing machine hook-up? You could start by undoing the hoses at your washing machine and cleaning out the screens. Should be 2 on each hose in most situations. 1 at the back of the washer where hose hooks up and 1 on the hose itself.

I've had a washer in the past cause the 3/8" copper line behind the dishwasher all the way across the house rattle against a stud. Tracking down a knocking noise can be a task.

Old 05-10-07, 01:01 PM
R
No hammer-arrestor at wash machine. I will check the hoses as suggested. BTW, it's not just a knocking. It can also be a loud whine, almost like elctronic feedback, and the location of the noise is very clearly in the wall that houses the pipe going up to the 2nd floor faucet. Thanks for your interest!

Old 05-11-07, 07:47 AM
C
CSG
Does it happen everytime you turn washer on? Like can you make the noise repeat itself at your choosing by running the washer. Or is it just sometimes?

Old 05-11-07, 12:38 PM
R
Pretty much each time the washer is started,...although it does not occur later in the same wash cycle when the machine calls for more water such as for the rinse segment...which I think is only involving cold water.
I noticed now that I'm gathering this info that the 2nd floor hot water faucet referenced in my original description does have a very slow drip. Is it possible that air is drawn into the line when the washer hot water valve abruptly opens at start of the wash cycle and that repairing the faucet washer to end the drip will also end the problem?

Old 05-12-07, 08:39 AM
Received 16 Upvotes on 15 Posts
Sounds like a loose washer in the hose valve for your washer......

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: