Basement Sewer Smell

Old 05-14-07, 11:00 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Basement Sewer Smell

Im wondering if someone can tell me what the problem might be, We recently renovated the basement and put room down there for one of our children. Every so often i notice a sewar smell in her room. I can say that the pipes from the bathroom run through her ceiling from the bathroom down the walls and out side. It's not all the time and we can't see any leaks anywhere- its just an aweful odour- smells to me like a sewar smell (i dont think im spelling that right- it doesnt look right lol)

Anyone have any idea what it could be- we dont even know where to start.

thank you thank you!

Old 05-14-07, 12:47 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Any floor drains or sinks in the basement? Run water in sinks and down floor drains on a regular basis. If the water in the trap(s) evaporates, the seal is lost and sewer gases can enter.

Old 05-14-07, 01:10 PM
W
Talking

Thank you so much for your help- i really appreciate it!

Im going to talk to my husband about it when he gets home and he can look into it- we needed a starting point- thanks for providing that!

Old 05-14-07, 01:21 PM
C
CSG
After that you can check for any moisture around teh base of any toilets...check to see if any toilets rock when you sit on em.

Old 05-14-07, 05:48 PM
W
the toilet upstairs does rock- would that give a smell in the basement or only if the toilet was downstairs?

Old 05-15-07, 01:29 AM
C
CSG
You would think it wouldn't travel down. But at least you found something that needs to be fixed. Even if your not getting sewer smell now from the toilet at some point you will.

Old 05-15-07, 04:45 AM
W
sick child

ok one more question but you might not know this one:

we moved my daughter into this room 6 months ago and she has been sick ever since- sore throats, upset tummy, headaches...i had her to the doctor numerous times and he says there is nothing wrong with her. Could escapeing sewer gasses cause this?

THANKS!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: