How to keep lint from clogging washer drain/utility sink/ejector?

Old 05-16-07, 01:00 PM
W
wgc
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to keep lint from clogging washer drain/utility sink/ejector?

OK, that title was a mouthful, but I don't know how to describe this in one line. I'm tired of cleaning out all the screens and strainers every month or two, and really frustrated over the latest overflow. I'm looking for ideas to improve drainage for our washer.

The problem is the sewer line leaves the house through the basement wall at about the height of the top of the washer, so the washer can't drain normally. Currently the washer drains into a utility sink, the utility sink drains into an ejector pump, and the pump sends the water back up into the sewage stack.

That does work most of the time, but I get constant lint buildup that has to be cleaned out every month or two if I don't want the sink to overflow. Sometimes I don't do that frequently enough. It's not just the sink strainer that clogs: that would be simple to clean, but also the sink trap and the ejector screen: those require taking things apart a little and getting messy. What can I do to make this more reliable and less maintenance-intensive?

I tried the simple approach: a more effective sink strainer that could be cleaned easily. However, that just caused a sudden overflow without warning, whereas the current setup is more gradual and likely to be noticed before the overflow.

Old 05-16-07, 04:42 PM
C
CSG
Honestly...i can't think of another setup. Lint is a nasty thing. best i can come up with is to try a different washer. Some have built in filters themselves for the lint...i believe (don't quote me on that.) As for the plumbing..onlt things i can think of are going to maintenance intensive just like you have now. If you think to a commercial application..a beauty salon...on their sinks where they wash a persons hair they have devices installed in their traps to catch the hair...but again it has to be cleaned out every so often. There really isn't a better method. Only possibility is changing that ejector pump to a grinder pump and drain the washer directly into it thereby letting the grinder chop up the lint..but this may not work. The lint may just clog the grinder or jam it.

best i could think of.

Old 05-16-07, 04:44 PM
O
We use a simple fine metal mesh bag, available at Home Depot, that attaches to the water outflow hose with a small ziplock. It is made just for this purpose, it is disposable, and they are available in packs of 3 for a few bucks. We also put a fine mesh screen over the drain to trap additional excess lint as well. Works pretty well so far.

Old 05-16-07, 04:47 PM
C
CSG
I'll have to keep that in mind as well. never seen em..but is helpful information.

Old 05-17-07, 06:31 AM
W
wgc
what happens when the lint bag fills

That lint bag sounds like a pretty good idea, I'll have to look for it and see if it helps.

However, what happens when it is full? Replacing the sink strainer with a fine mesh screen really didn't work because, while it may have reduced maintenance for downstream cleanup, it clogged "suddenly" so actually made overflows more likely.

CSG: Unfortunately the washer is practically new, so there's certainly no room in the budget for the drastic step of replacing it. I'll try to keep that in mind when I need a new one, but that should be many years from now.

Thanks.

Old 05-21-07, 05:36 PM
O
When the mesh bag is full you simply throw it out and replace it with a new one. They are cheap, and available at Home Depot in packs of 2. They are called Lint Traps by LDR Appliance.

My wife is a laundry queen- she is always washing something- and the new washer we have is a high capacity LG, so I was worried about the sink possibly overflowing. My buddy had had problems with lint in his sink as well, so he gave me a heads-up before we started the renovation.
I also replaced the original, ugly, leaking concrete sink from the fifties with a deep stainless sink bought at a restaurant supply store ($225). We love it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: