Steamshower Pipe Clearances

Old 05-16-07, 05:05 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Steamshower Pipe Clearances

Hello. I am having a Thermasol steam unit installed in my shower. On its way from the unit to the shower, the plumber ran the 3/4 copper steam pipe into the wall and snug across a wood 2x4 (width-wise). Given how hot the steam pipe will get while I'm using the unit, (apporximately 30 minutes per day), should I be concerned that this could be a fire hazard, especially since it will be in the wall and not exposed to the air? If so, how much space should I (try to) chisel out behind the pipe to be safe? Thanks.

Old 05-17-07, 05:21 AM
C
CSG
I personally have never had an issue running copper steam pipes in residential applications through wood studs.

Old 05-18-07, 04:53 AM
T
Thanks. But in my case, this pipe is against the side of the stud, not through a hole in it. In the situations where you have run the pipe through the stud, is the diameter of the hole the same as the pipe, or is the pipe resting on one side of the hole? In other words, is there space between the pipe and the wood, or is the pipe against the woood like in my application?

Old 05-18-07, 03:25 PM
C
CSG
I've ran it right down studs. If your not sure..just call the steam manufacturer and ask em. Their support over the phone will answer this for you so you can rest at night with ease.

Old 05-18-07, 06:12 PM
T
Good idea: will do. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: