new cabinets don't fit with plumbing

Old 05-17-07, 07:00 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
new cabinets don't fit with plumbing

Hi all,
I've got the kitchen gutted and am trying to think of the best way to get my new sink base in. I have an all brick house and the previous sink base had a false back that cost a lot of space. I'm not worried about the water pipes, but I'm unsure how to attack the drain/vent. Currently I have a large copper (looks like more than 2") drain pipe that comes up the floor about 2.5" out from the wall. It has a tee for the drain and then goes up another foot or two before it turns and goes out the wall to run the vent up the exterior of the house.

If I cut my cabinet to fit around the existing drain pipe I will have to take a huge section out of the back. I don't want to do this for a number of reasons, one it looks bad (even under the sink), two it leaves a gaping hole for stuff to get lost and crawlies to live and three it compromises the structure of the cabinet the way these are built.

I can't decide what to do, what do you think? I'm currently leaning toward cutting out the tee so I can slide the cabinet down ofer one pipe and back over the other and then using two rubber gaskets to hold the new tee in place. thoughts?

Old 05-17-07, 09:11 AM
C
CSG
If you can do it with 2 rubber gaskets...then go ahead. Use Fernco's..an dif you have a problem getting the 2 on....make sure the bottom one is perfect. The 2 pipes should be touching each other in the bottom one and in the top one if there is a little space it is ok. It is only the vent side.

It is eaither that or a lot of work to get it inside the wall you described. I can direct you at that as well if you wish..but sounds like there is a reason it isn't in the wall already. Unless they just missed the wall on the origional plumbing.

Old 05-17-07, 09:56 AM
N
I don't think I want to consider getting it in the wall. it's a double layer of bricks and it would be a massive effort. I don't mind pipes in the cabinet, I just don't want to have to remove 1/3 of the cabinet to get them there.

Old 05-17-07, 03:34 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If you have not purchased your cabinets yet, many manufacturers sell just the sink front.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: