sewer smell in well water w/softner system activated

Old 05-17-07, 07:25 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
sewer smell in well water w/softner system activated

We have been experiencing a foul smell in our water. My husband seems to think it is a blocked vent. I think it is mainly the hot water but cannot be totally sure. It smells like sewage. From some of the other forums I have read if it is a rotten gas smell It could be the hot water heater but we do have a softener system and that would take care of any bacteria in the well water.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Old 05-17-07, 07:48 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Don't drink the water! Take a water sample to the health department to have it tested. Make sure you have water in all drain traps and run water with water hose down the vent stacks. Or, call a plumber.

Old 05-17-07, 09:02 AM
C
CSG
I'll bet 95% that the problem is your water heater...and i'll bet 100% if your can tell me for sure it is coming from your hot water side. Smell should be strongest in your shower area.

Tha anode rod in the water heater is most likely the culprit. Replace it with a less active material or put in a new water heater.

By the way..how old is the one you have now?

Also..the problem coming from the heater is a rotten egg smell...which is a little different smell the sewage..but if your not a plumber and not used to em they could make you think of the same thing . Point is..it stinks.

A clogged vent would most likely cause you other problems..like gurgling noisey drains...slow flushing toilets..etc. So if it is a vent like your husband thinks you should have other symptoms with it. Now if you have a broken pipe in your wall or attic then you could get some smell that way as well. Any rats running around in your attic?

I'll go back and say again...95% of all rotten smells i have come across in my years in the field have been water heater anode rods....or bad studor vents (little vents under your sinks). If your vents go out the roof then you dojn't have these.

As far as the well goes..don't count on a softener system. You should still chlorinate the well every few years to be on the safe side. The softner is great for removal of iron and other harsh metals...but its main use isn't for bacteria.

Old 05-17-07, 08:55 PM
J
Smile

Thanks, CSG

The hot water heater and the house are about 10-11 years old.
The pipes are vented out the roof.

Sounds like we may have to replace a water heater and chlorinate the well.

Thanks again for the responses.

Old 05-17-07, 08:58 PM
J
Question instructins for chlorinating

Where would I find instructions to chlorinate the well?

Old 05-17-07, 10:12 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You can have water tested at health department and instructions for chlorinating well. You should have a periodic well test because well influx and water contents can vary.

Old 05-18-07, 12:03 AM
C
CSG
(copied from http://www.cdswater.com/chlorinate_well.htm)

MILD CHLORINATION: The typical domestic well can be chlorinated by the homeowner in the following fashion.

Purchase 2 gallons of “Chlorox” or “Purex” household bleach. This is a straight 5 % sodium hypochlorite solution. DO NOT use bleach that has scented additives or any extra ingredients. DO NOT use “Chlorox II”. Usually the less expensive the bleach the better.

Fill up the bathtub and several gallons of drinking water before you begin because the well will be out of service overnight.

Go to the well and remove the well vent. This is the small ” pipe with a 180 degree fitting on top of the well seal. Notice if the well vent is properly screened. A bug proof screen should be mounted on the end of the breather or well vent.

Pour the two gallons of bleach down the well vent hole in the well seal. (You will probably need a funnel.) Refill the containers with clean water and pour two gallons of clean water behind the bleach. Replace the vent and let the chlorine set overnight in the well. CAUTION EVERYONE NOT TO DRINK OR WASH. It is permissible to flush the toilet or wash your hands but try not to run any water until morning.

The next morning open all taps and let the chlorinated water run through the piping system. This will also clean out your household plumbing system. Too much chlorinated water in your sewer system could damage the bacterial decomposition in your sewage treatment system. The bulk of the chlorinated water needs to be run outside through a garden hose where it can run off and not pond or create a nuisance. Several hours of flushing may be necessary to assure that all chlorine has been pumped out of the system.

DO NOT drink any water until all chlorine is flushed from the system. Do not wash any clothes that are sensitive to chlorine until ALL chlorine is flushed out of the system. Be careful in dealing with the chlorinated wastewater. Some fish and animals are more sensitive to low levels of chlorinated water than humans.

You can call a well company to have it tested or purchase your own kit. Just do a search on the internet.

Old 05-22-07, 07:06 AM
J
Red face Thank you!

Thanks for all your wonderful help. It looks like we will be replacing our water heater and chlorinating our well this weekend.

Old 05-22-07, 10:16 AM
C
CSG
If you could..please change the heater...see if problem is solved...then cholrinate well. Or you can chlorinate well then change heater heh...doesn't matter. Just like doing things 1 at a time to see which solves problem so we can see what it was...

fix a bunch of things at once and somone asks you later what the problem was and what solved it..and your like *shrugs* i don't know. tried all kinds of things

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: