bathroom remodel

Old 05-18-07, 03:49 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
bathroom remodel

I'm in the process of remodeling the master bathroom in my house. The room is completely gutted And I have access to all drain pipes. My question is should I replace all the cast iron pipes with pvc or leave them be? they seem to be in pretty good shape. The house is close to 60 years old.

Thanks

Old 05-18-07, 08:29 PM
C
CSG
There is no right or wrong answer to this question.

As a plumbing contractor...when i have a wall open..i replace what the homeowner will let me. It is better to do it while the wall is open..then to put it all back together..have a crack or something down the road..and slap yourself for having to cut a wall back open.

Then again..the cast you have may be fine. It really is your decision to make.

Old 05-19-07, 07:34 AM
T
thanks....If I take out the cast can I put in larger drains for the tub and sink..right now I have 1.5 inch for the tub and1.25 for the sink...also how do I cut the cast iron pipe.

Thanks

Old 05-19-07, 10:43 AM
C
CSG
Drains: Yes....i'd put in a 2" for the tub up to the trap..then 1.5" on the riser to the tub drain itself coming out of the trap. For the sink you bring up 2" and on the riser put a 2x1.5" Tee so your draining your sink into 1.5". Thats how i prefer to run em.

Cutting: Use an angle grinder with a diamond blade. Wear something to protect your eyes. Wear gloves. Makes a nice smooth cut and doesnt take long.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: