Solder threaded copper fitting

Old 05-19-07, 07:22 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Solder threaded copper fitting

I need advice on how to avoid having solder foul the threads of a female threaded copper fitting when soldering it to the end of a pipe which is above the threads. I am trying to install a hot water thermal expansion tank, and on my first attempt to solder the threaded fitting which will support the tank, I fouled the threads with dripping solder so badly that the fitting could not be used.

Is there a material that can be used to block the solder flow or coat the threads which is safe for use in a potable water system?

I have considered putting a short threaded pipe stub in the fitting using Teflon tape before soldering the pipe joint, but am not sure that the Teflon will hold up so that the stub won’t wind up soldered in place. Also, the pipe stub threads may not go into the joint as far as the tank fitting threads need to go to seat properly.

Old 05-19-07, 10:40 AM
C
CSG
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Easiest answer is don't use so much solder. Takes .5" of solder to fill a .5" fitting....75" of solder to fill a .75" threading etc. You get the idea. Put a black mark on your solder after you measure it off

Course..most people over-do the solder at times..even me..better safe then sorry right?

I usually use female adapters for that very reason. Any particular reason you have to use a male fitting? If it has to be a male...make 1 wrap of the fitting using duct tape. Works for me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: