Urgent help needed for clogged drain

Old 05-19-07, 05:07 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Urgent help needed for clogged drain

My kitchen sink drain (two inch galvanized pipe) is stopped up tight all of a sudden. The sink is on the second floor above the garage, and the drain pipe runs down through the floor and along the wall in the garage, where it goes through the garage slab floor and out to the street, under the driveway. In that vertical pipe along the wall in the garage there is a cleanout. I removed the plug and a gusher of water came out, so I knew the clog was in the pipe below it.

I rented one of these large power snakes and have been trying for hours to get this pipe snaked out, but I feel as if I am getting nowhere. The rental place gave me three different heads and I have tried all three. One that seems to work the best is an arrowhead looking one with a dull point. I can get it to go in so far and it stops and when I pull it out the head is packed with this silt like sticky, stinky mud. It's not black, but a brown color.

I just don't know what to do anymore. My hands are worn out from trying to push this snake into this pipe...it just seems like I am getting nowhere with it. Sometimes the snake will get caught and bind up and completely stop the motor. Is there any certain technique you guys use for a clog like this? I feel like I must be doing something wrong.

I really need some help with this one. I am open to any ideas.

Thanks...Randy

Old 05-19-07, 06:31 PM
C
CSG
Unfortunately running a snake tends to deal a lot more with experince...just having a feel for it. you kind of know when your going through a fitting..when to push..when to go slow.....its from years of using one. It is a hard thing to try and post on here.

If the clog is that tough....you might have no choice but to call a professional in.

Now for my guessing part. if your getting mud or something similar out of the pipe..you might have a broken pipe under ground. The reason you might be getting that stuck is because the head of your snake is leaving the pipe and trying to go through a hole in it into the outside ground. Only way to know for sure is to have a camera run down it.

Of course in order to do this the clog has to be knocked out to remove the water. My recommendation is to just go nice and slow..let it spin...move 6" forward..let it spin..repeat. You might get through it that way. The arrow head your talking about is usually best used for sand or mud in a line. The spring is best used for standard thing slike toilet paper etc. The alligator looking jaws are for roots etc.

See if you have a clean-out outside the building where you can run the snake back in instead of trying to run it out. Might get lucky that way.

They also make a little balloon looking thing you can hook a hose up to and place inside the clean-out. It will fill the pipe up with the pressure from your house and that might be enough to blow the clog out.

Wish i could give you something better.

Old 05-20-07, 12:28 AM
R
Of course in order to do this the clog has to be knocked out to remove the water. My recommendation is to just go nice and slow..let it spin...move 6" forward..let it spin..repeat.
I wish I could get six inches. I'm lucky if I can get it to move an inch. It is really tough.

I'm interested in the broken pipe scenario. How often does a two inch steel pipe break? I mean, just last night my wife was using the sink and it drained fine, then all of a sudden this morning bam, it's clogged up solid. I don't get it. What would make it break all of a sudden?

I bought some stuff at the hardware store that is guaranteed to clear a clog, although I am not really hopeful, but I will try again in the morning and see how it goes. If I can't get it then I will have to call out the pros.

Thanks for the help...Randy

Old 05-20-07, 02:55 AM
C
CSG
Gauranteed to clear a clog? never...no way...it may say that but in small righting somewhere there has to be stipulations.

For one..if you have a pipe full of water and the clog is more then a few feet away..nothing you poor down the drain will get it out. the stipulation is probably that it is a clogged trap. All that pipe filled with water will dilute any un-clogging liquid way before it reaches its destination.

Steel pipes? Galvanized pipe isn't good for drainage. Plumbers don't use it anymore. it is too corrosive. Over time it easily rusts and cracks apart. What would make you have a clog instantly? If the galavanized is under ground and it cracks...it could cause a cave in..the pipe then fills with dirt that was above it.

I'm not saying you have a busted pipe..just stating it is a possibility.

Old 05-20-07, 09:43 AM
R
I know, I know, I don't believe it either, but desperate times call for desperate measures, and at this point I am willing to try anything. But there is a lot of standing water in the pipe so I probably just wasted my money, at best.

I'm getting ready to give it another go here. I'm just praying that it isn't a busted pipe, cause I really don't want to have to bust up my newly poured driveway. Poured a couple years ago, but it is still new to me.

Thanks...Randy

Old 05-20-07, 01:06 PM
R
Well, no luck. I keep getting this brown, clay like substance packed around the tip of the snake. I believe the snake is either going through a break and into the ground or the pipe is packed with dirt. Either case I believe I need a pro. Calling one now.

Old 05-20-07, 03:06 PM
C
CSG
Wish i could of helped more. Post back when you get it resolved.

Old 05-28-07, 02:29 AM
R
Well, had to bust up about twenty feet of my garage floor to replace this drain line. Found the galvanized steel pipe higher at the end that connected to the main line than at the end where it went underground. This caused water and sludge to accumulate at that point, which eventually ate away the bottom of the pipe.

Good news is I didn't have to bust up my driveway. I put ABS back in and repositioned the pipe for the correct fall. Should be good for another 100 years.

Here's some pics. That's my 80 year old Dad in the pic. My parents were visiting from out of town, so I put him to work. He said I was a slave driver. I said I had a good teacher. lol

http://star.walagata.com/w/fubar94/kitchendrain.html

Old 05-28-07, 04:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Randy: I was reading this as CSG was giving all he could, but I kept questioning "galvanized", like he did. You had cast iron pipe, not galvanized. At least, now, with the pvc, you won't have that problem any more. Glad you didn't have to dig up the driveway, especially with all the brick inlay.

Old 05-28-07, 11:36 PM
R
Hmmm, I guess you're right. I never really thought about it. Would it have made any difference if it had been galvanized?

The brick inlay is exactly what I was most concerned about. I am really glad!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: