dripping tub faucet

Old 05-21-07, 10:59 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
dripping tub faucet

My tub faucet is the old standard type (separate knobs for hot / cold water), and I am having problems getting the hot side to shut off completely. No matter how hard I turn the knob, the faucet starts dripping after a few minutes. I thought maybe I have some washers that need replacing. Does anyone have an idea of what might be causing this? If you know of any directions online that I can print out and use as a guide, that would be great.

Thanks!

Old 05-21-07, 04:41 PM
C
CSG
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There is over 1000 different valves/stems/cartridges etc for showers and faucets. There is no way posisble without see'ng a picture of the stem itself that i can direct you.

Now, what you can do....turn the water off to the house. Remove the handles and the metal cover plates (escucheons). Remove the packing nut holding the stem in. Remove the stem..take it to a local hardware store and show it to them. They most likely have a book that will match it up and tell you the brand of the stem. In which case they can also show you the correct repair parts for it so you can rebuild it.

It could be a washer....it could be the seat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: