Return of THE STINKY WATER

Old 05-22-07, 08:02 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Return of THE STINKY WATER

A while back, had a problem with stinky water coming out of bathroom faucet. It would start a couple seconds into running and stop about 5 seconds in. It was from BOTH the hot and cold supply sides (so not a hot water tank problem).

Folks here came to the conclusion that there was probably some bacteria in the system and to pour some bleach down the faucet lines. I did this about a month ago and it seemed to work between now and then. However, now the smell has returned.

Is it possible that the bacteria is in the faucet fixture itself? Should I remove this and clean it thoroughly?

What are the chances that there is some back flow contaminating the sink supply from the nearby toilet. (this may be a long shot since I have a late model fill valve that sits an inch above the fill tube and even higher above the water level)

Thoughts? Is this water dangerous to use?

Old 05-22-07, 09:09 AM
C
CSG
I see your origional post on this problem was back in December of 2004. Have you been bleaching the faucet lines since then? and if so,, how often have you done this (every month?) since you first brought this problem to us?

Just trying to get an idea of what you've put into this and how long it has been going on.

And are you experiencing this problem anywhere else in house? I know you weren't before..but 3 years is a long time...trying to figure out if it is a new problem or the old problem returning.

Old 05-22-07, 09:24 AM
K
Yeah, originally noticed way back then. Since then it went away and came back several times over the years. It was only last month that I noticed it and decided to bleach the lines...this was the first time. An no, not experiencing anywhere else in house.

Old 05-22-07, 10:14 AM
C
CSG
Are the faucets in the rest of the bathrooms the same model/brand as this one?
Or is this faucet the only one of its kind in the house?

Old 05-22-07, 11:00 AM
K
Good question, I'm PRETTY sure it's different, but will check...what difference would that make?

Old 05-22-07, 11:48 AM
C
CSG
I'm just curious as to if there is something inside the faucet..a particular type of metal that is reacting in a negative way with the water. Same thing as the anode rod in a water heater. They make different kinds that are less reactive/corrosive.

If you have all same type of faucets and only issues with this 1 then i can rule that out as a possibility.

Old 05-22-07, 01:32 PM
K
Ok, just checked and it is a Price-Phister, same brand as the one in the kitchen but different from the brand in the basement.

Old 05-22-07, 02:01 PM
C
CSG
I'd call Price-Phister and tell them your plumber told you to call em. See what they say. There is a slight chance they may send you a new faucet to replace it . I know MOEN and Delta will do that.

Might get yourself a new faucet for nothing out of the deal.

Just inform them you don't have the problem anywhere else..just that faucet and your plumber already checked the water heater etc.

Old 05-23-07, 06:11 AM
K
You think it's something in the metal or bacteria in the faucet?

If the latter, couldn't I just take off the fixture and clean it out?

Old 05-23-07, 08:58 AM
C
CSG
It could be bacteria..it could be a mineral in the water reacting with something inside the faucet....thats hwy i recommended calling the manufacturer. They'll know if there have been any reported problems similar with that faucet and be able to tell you most likely the issue. Like i said, you might even get a free faucet out of it. It is worth the 5 minute call.

if they can't solve it for you, my only recommendation is to replace the faucet since you say you don't have the issue anywhere else. No point in continually trying to clean something that either 1)isn't bacteria or 2)is bacteria and keeps coming back.

Old 05-23-07, 09:51 AM
K
Thanks as usual for the useful advice

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: