Copper oxide on pipes

Old 05-25-07, 03:26 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Copper oxide on pipes

Please forgive the stupid question, but I haven't been successful in finding the answer online. To keep it brief...

We're readying my mother's house for sale, and a plumber is telling my sister that the copper oxide we see on the copper pipes in the basement of Mom's house is indicative of a serious problem. He said it's due to excessive water pressure common to the area. (The reason the plumber was called was because I discovered a pinhole leak in a pipe in the basement.)

I just went down my basement which is two counties away, and I have have copper oxide on some of my pipes too. It's not excessive either in my house or my mom's house....just a little bit here and there. It would seem to me this copper oxide on the outside of the pipes would just be caused by moisture in the air. Am I really off base?

Thanks much for any input.

Jane

Old 05-25-07, 03:37 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
By copper oxide do you mean the green patina that all copper eventually will develop?

"...a plumber is telling my sister that the copper oxide we see on the copper pipes in the basement of Mom's house is indicative of a serious problem. He said it's due to excessive water pressure..."

He's wrong about excessive pressure being the cause of the copper oxide and most likely wrong about excessive pressure being responsible for the pinhole leaks. In my opinion this plumber is trying to scare you into hiring him for a complete repipe job.

If you have greenish corrosion near the soldered fittings it is usually a result of too much flux used when soldering and / or not wiping the flux off immediately after soldering.

Old 05-25-07, 03:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Furd's right with the flux. If it isn't wiped off, it takes the copper back to its raw form and oxygen reacts to it. In addition, although you may be in need of a repiping job, do it for the right reason and with the right plumber. The pinhole is probably due to sand in the water supply. It may be averted by installing a whole house filter prior to it passing these pipes. And if you found one, it will only be a matter of time for another to show up, so keep an eye on them.

Old 05-25-07, 10:03 PM
Thanks very much for the feedback.

Yes, the copper oxide I'm talking about is the green patina, and it's most prevalent around the soldered fittings.

This all sounded very fishy to me and wasn't making much sense.

Thanks again.

Jane

Old 05-27-07, 09:02 AM
Smile Copper oxide

furd is right, the "PLMBER" you are dealing with is trying to fxxk you. The oxide and the pin hole were probably caused by a plumber that was too lazy to wipe off excessive flux. Lots of luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: