Tee off existing supply line

Old 05-29-07, 01:20 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tee off existing supply line

I need to install a tee off of an existing 3/4" copper supply line, running across the bottom of my floor joists in my garage. Problem is, this line is mounted close to the wall, in a corner, with little clearance, and I'm sure that once I cut it there won't be enough flex to slide a tee in and insert both ends into it. Is there another way to do this?

Also, this location is close to where the supply enters the structure so I know this line is going to forever drip, as a result of water draining from the whole house, causing me a huge headache when trying to solder it back together. What are some tips to stopping the water drippage long enough to make a good solder?

Thanks...Randy

Old 05-29-07, 03:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Randy, would you have any room to install a Qest fitting off the copper line? That would alleviate your having to solder and you can continue with either pex, copper, or cpvc to the destination. Just a thought.

Old 05-29-07, 05:56 PM
R
Very interesting. Once I cut the pipe I'll be able to slip the fitting onto one end, but then how do I install the other end of the pipe into the opposite end of the fitting? The pipe will be very rigid and I don't think there will be much flexibility.

I guess what I need is something like a slip coupling, that doesn't have any stops inside so you can slide it all along the pipe if need be. Do they make tees like this?

Thanks...Randy

Old 05-30-07, 05:48 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Randy - I don't know about slip tees, but you can get a slip couplings at any big box. There are a couple of things you can do to keep water out of the joint while you are soldering. There are commercial products that you stuff in the pipe. They will dissolve when water hits them (also available at big boxes - semi pricey for what you get) or you can wad up a piece of bread and plug the pipe with that. It will also dissolve.

Old 05-30-07, 09:54 AM
C
CSG
Shark Bite fittings <---possibility

Old 05-30-07, 12:49 PM
T
"wad up a piece of bread and plug the pipe with that"

I can second that! It'll be toast by the time you're done heating the pipe. I had to do it twice in my basment buildout. My wife thought I was nuts when she asked what she could do to help and I said "go upstairs and get me some of that cheap bread we just bought!" Once she realized it worked and I stopped cussing (loooong story), the next time she didn't even ask, just went and got it.

Good luck!
Tom

Old 05-30-07, 07:34 PM
Oooo, I forgot about sharkbite. Use that, Randy. No mistakes, and they are removable.

Old 05-30-07, 08:56 PM
M
Sharkbite all the way

I just replace my main supply line in my house this past weekend with sharkbite fittings and pex tubing. They are easy to use just allow yourself 1inch of copper pipe to work with.

Old 05-30-07, 09:25 PM
B
Received 7 Votes on 5 Posts
>>> I guess what I need is something like a slip coupling, that doesn't have any stops inside so you can slide it all along the pipe if need be. Do they make tees like this?

Old 05-31-07, 10:02 PM
R
Hey, thanks guys for all the tips. I think I'm going to try the sharkbite fittings. I just hope I'll be able to slip it on the pipe on both ends without destroying anything. Guess I'll try the bread trick to stop the water dripping. I'll post back how it goes after I get it done. Might be a couple weeks as I have to order the fittings online. I've never seen these at the big box stores.

Randy

Old 06-01-07, 03:53 AM
Randy, look at a plumbing supply house. They will probably have them on the front counter. You won't need to do the bread thing with sharkbite, as they slip on instantly and they are there. they also allow for lateral movement in case the tee isn't exactly where you want it.

Old 06-01-07, 06:05 AM
C
CSG
Ad best of all..no torch

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: