bathrm sink drain tail pipe

Old 05-31-07, 07:42 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bathrm sink drain tail pipe

replacing old metal drain tail pipe (within the wall) removing by bits and pieces
how do I remove the last few inches of pipe (rusted to main drain)
been trying to lift up the lip around the end of pipe (hammer/screwdriver) and then work the pieces till they break off with a pair of water pumps
(will replace with PCV pipe)
is there a better way to break loose and remove the rest of piping?
is there something I must be aware of before I continue as don't know any other way to do removal

replacement pcv drain pipe ( so called flex 'N fix ) kit says 1 1/2 or 1 1/4"
but when trying flex end over sink drain pipe seems like alot of extra
space kit says for kit or bathroom as old pcv pipe was tight fit
washers from new kit go on hard so will extra space be covered when tighten?

unable to bring in outside help at this time as wife sick and Iam caregiver so most of my effort is done around at 1100pm

alot of big thank you's for any assist so I don't screw things up worst then they are now
[email protected]

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-07, 02:19 PM
W
Received 11 Votes on 9 Posts
Hi Sounds like you are relacing a p trap The only difference between 1 1/2 and 1 1/4 is 1 1/4 uses a thicker washer that hooks to the tail piece.
On the other end leave about 2 inches on the pipe the get a rubber adapter fitting made for these problems they work well.
Good Luck woodbutcher

Old 06-01-07, 03:00 PM
C
CSG
Actually, he isn't talking about a tailpipe at all. That is just what he is calling it. He is referring i believe to the copper mail adapter screwing in to the threadt cast Tee inside the wall. Sounds like he is having an issue gtting the threads from the copper 'waste arm' out of the cast threaded Tee.

Am i right in this assumption?

Old 06-06-07, 03:10 PM
R
drain pipe

csg

can't see any traces of copper pipe being threaded into fiting of drain
but as there is about 2 in left of pipe in place ity very well could be

if thats the case HOW do you get the remaining
pipe loose
when I started I tried to break the pipe loose and only broke off / bent up the end
replacemen PVC is not threaded
just slips into place and held there by the "P" trap
on back burner till I hear from you as don't waqnt to screw things up
rosie

Old 06-07-07, 07:30 AM
C
CSG
The pipe going into the wall is PVC(white) or is it ABS(black) plastic? Either way..if it is plastic you won't get it 'broken' loose. It is attacked solidly to the pipe inside the wall. You have to cut it flush at a point where you can work on it by gluing on a coupling and repiping the trap.

Perhaps you can post a picture.

Old 06-07-07, 02:53 PM
R
bathroom drain pipe

pipe within wall that Iam trying to remove is 1 1/4 "copper from 40 yrs ago
I will replace it with a white PVC pipe that I came as part of a P trap replacement kit

copper pipe way too thin to be threaded

I sprayed WD 40 and penetating oil in and around the pipe
but have yet to give it another try what to loet as much oil etc to help break
the rusted pipes
thanks for taking the time to look at my problem
rosie

Old 06-07-07, 04:40 PM
C
CSG
Can u see inside the wall? If not..the standard set up is a copper pipe tying into a cast iron drain system. The copper itself would be threaded..it would be soldered on to a male adapter inside the wall that threads into the cast iron drain. Either way...it is either threaded or soldered (copper drain pipes woul dbe way expensive all through the house but i guess it is pssible).

Easiest method at this point to solve your issue, befor eyou do any potentail negative damage, is to get a saw or copper tubing cutter and cut the copper pipe about 2" from the back of your cabinet. Then go buy a 1.5" copper X 1.5" PVC Tubular Fernco (assuming cause that is what is in most repair kits) They are usually GREY but you might be able to get it in BLACK. Then you just put that on and tighten down your clamps and off you go.

if your not using a saw or something to properly cut the copper and your just breaking pieces off then you are about to cause or possibly cause yourself major headaches. You could be damaging something inside the wall. Plus copper isn't made to be cut any other way.