Outdoor faucet leaks at connection to garden hose

Old 06-02-07, 08:23 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outdoor faucet leaks at connection to garden hose

We have 2 outlets outside that attach to garden hoses and no matter how tight I try to make the connection, there is alway a lot of water coming out at the connection and it seems that its making our basement a little wet. What can be done? Do I have to replace the faucets? It looks like the thread is a little stripped and I can't screw the hoses all the way in...

Thanks!

Old 06-02-07, 09:03 AM
C
CSG
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
make sure you have a washer inside the hose connector.

You could try wrapping teflon around the outlets threads...but honestly if it leaks after you screw on the hose (with washers) then you either need to try anothe rhose or replace the outlets. If the threads are screwed up there is no fix...you will definitely have to replace the outlets.

Old 06-02-07, 11:04 AM
W
Received 35 Upvotes on 29 Posts
If the threads are galled you can try filing them a bit with a jewelers file or a small triangular file. If you know a plumber or a machinist they may have a thread file you can borrow. The threads on a hose bib are large, coarse and relatively soft. You shouldn't have a problem cleaning them up.

If the bib threads are messed up, the hose fitting may also be damaged. Check it out and replace the fitting if the threads are bad.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: