Reconnecting an old well for sprinkler use

Old 06-03-07, 05:56 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Reconnecting an old well for sprinkler use

I want to reconnect an old well for an underground sprinkler system only. I am not sure how to start. This home had well water back in the late 80s but was replaced with city water at that time. The well piping was end capped. There is a blue spherical tank in my basement which I believe is part of the well. There is also a disconnected wire which I believe is for the pump that was taken with the previous owners.

1) Is it possible that there is a pump somewhere else (underneath the ground or in the blue spherical tank)? If so, how would I know this? I do have a circuit breaker in my fuse box that indicates "well pump".

2) Is it possible the well dried up? I was told that they are pretty deep wells, approximately 100' and I live in central New Jersey. It should never dry up because I had a friend who lived in this area and grew up on well water, his well never dried up.

How do I get started?

Please help!

Old 06-03-07, 10:02 AM
Well connect

1: The city may have run municapal lines to your area because the wells were going bad.

2: There may be a pump in the well, you will have to ask someone local what the situation is in your area.

3: The older a well gets the more chance there will be problems, sorry.

Old 06-03-07, 11:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The blue tank won't contain a pump, but is a pressure tank only. The water is delivered to the tank and a bladder inside expands and keeps your water at a reasonably steady flow. Check the top of the well casing to see if there is a yellow rope or any wire coming out of the top of it. Let us know.

Old 06-03-07, 02:32 PM
M
Chandler

The well casing is the blue tank? If not, where do I find the well casing? What wire am I looking for? The wire for the pump?

Anyway, when I buy a pump at home depot, $199.99 for a 1.5 HP ~80 gpm pump, I will hook it up, reconnect the lines and hook it up to a new faucet outside. This will be my supply for the underground sprinkler system. Do you think that I have anything to worry about damage wise since it hasn't run in approx. 20 years?

Old 06-03-07, 02:59 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
First thing to do is to find out if you are allowed to use a well for irrigation, many municipalities prohibit such use by homeowners and require a special permit for those that are allowed like cemetaries and golf courses.

You will need to check with your local building department or health department.

If the well is 100 feet deep then it would have had a submersible pump located in the well itself. No pump that you can connect at the surface will be able to draw water from 100 feet underground.

The blue tank is NOT the well casing, just a tank with (most likely) a bladder inside to allow the pump to work against a cushion of air. The tank prevents "short cycling" of the pump.

The well casing would be out in the yard somewhere, usually (but not always) with some kind of "cap" that is visible above ground.

Generally speaking submersible well pumps have a control box mounted near the bladder tank. If all you have are the wires running to the pump it won't work.

I strongly suspect that your well has had the pump pulled, the buried wiring and piping cut off at the well casing and the casing head buried. I seriously doubt that you can resurrect this system even if it is legal.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: