Grey Sewer Smelling Water Comes out of Washer Drain

Old 06-03-07, 06:43 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Grey Sewer Smelling Water Comes out of Washer Drain

Any ideas on this one??

We bought a house two weeks ago, moved in this weekend. The house was built in 79, and has had many things redone and for the age is in good shape with a fairly detailed inspection. However, we went to hook up the washer and there was a drain hose conected to the drain, extending out 6inches from drain and capped off. I went to uncap the hose and a half gallon of "sewage smelling" water came out...to be safe I put an extended hose on the drain and had my wife flush the toilets, when she did more water came out-not much but it was definitely related to flushing the toilet. The previous owner said he just cut the washer drain hose and capped it when they moved out. Any ideas on what the issue could be....Or what I need to do to fix it. I am hesitant to hook the washer up for fear this "grey water" will flow into the washer.

Thanks for any help.

Old 06-03-07, 11:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Yeah, the washer drain ptrap is clogged. You may be able to dislodge it by using a snake, since it is probably only just below floor level, or inside the wall. In addition, if this doesn't work, you may have an occluded vent line, which needs to be cleared from the roof. Be careful if you decide to do this, however.

Old 06-03-07, 02:36 PM
E
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I hope the ex-owner revealed to you -all- plumbing issues. It is the law in many states that any defects in a house be reported to new owners. It sounds to me, if I understand your post properly, more like your main drain is plugged and water is backing up to try to get out anywhere it can, at some lower point than the toilet, and is trying to get out the drainline designated for the washing machine, perhaps because it has nowhere else to get out? If the drain line were kept capped off as you found it, then what would happen if you repeatedly kept flushing the toilet? Have you tried that, to see if the toilet would keep flushing properly? It should be able to, no matter how many tinmes you did back to back flushes. If you do try this, make sure someone is in basement to see if water tries coming out somewheres. If your house is two story with bathrooms on each floor, do not perform this test with 2nd floor toilet or any other running water on that 2nd floor!, as water could spill over somewhere on first floor!

I am now adding to my post to ask if your drain that is part of the house, that is for the washer, has a trap even in that line? It should. If it does, and even if the trap were clogged, no toilet water should be able to get past that trap if the rest of the houses main drain system is working properly.

Old 06-04-07, 05:15 AM
T
I have this problem too! However, my problem is a bit different.

Our basement washer drain backs up foul gray water. Our upstairs kitchen sink and dishwasher drain into the same pipe as the washing machine, and then these run into the floor, which connects to the drain. When I run the upstairs water into the drain, the level in the floor drain rises slowly. The washing machine will make it spill out onto the floor.

The other half of the house drains fine. We have a downstairs bathroom, upstairs bathroom both located on the other side of the house nearest the sewer clean out that drain just fine.

Seems to me that a clog has developed in between the floor drain and the sewer line, but I really don't understand the connectivity of the sewer lines, do I have 1 or 2 connections to the sewer?

We had a comprehensive home inspection, and I was present when the inspector ran all water in the house for nearly 1 hour to check the drains. He even dumped a bucket into the basement floor drain. All was fine. Don't know how this happened in the span of 1 week since no one was living there...

Can i just rent a snake and try to unclog it, or should I call in a professional?

Old 06-04-07, 03:09 PM
N
NashvilleHome Grey Sewer Water

Why do I need to be careful about trying to clear the vent in the roof?(how should I do it) When I flush the toilet upstairs a small amount of grey smelly water does come out of the washer drain.........

By the way the washer is in the garage/basement so is below ground the road or sewer line.......

Old 06-04-07, 06:47 PM
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
You need to be careful because it hurts to stop from a sudden fall off a roof! The vent is usually cleared by chugging it with a garden hose (water off). Squirrels and other pesky animals tend to drop twigs, nuts, etc down your vent pipe and cause air locks. Take a coke and stick a straw in it. Cover the straw with your thumb. Withdraw the straw. Coke remains in the straw until you release your thumb, allowing pressure from above to equalize. Same thing happens in your vent pipe.

Old 06-04-07, 06:54 PM
N
Clogged Vent

Awesome, definitely dont want to fall off the roof......I will give this a try tommorow. Thanks again.

Just to make sure, I am not supposed to do this with any water on? Just the hose?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: