water pipe leaking and called plumber 5 times

Old 06-07-07, 02:02 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
water pipe leaking and called plumber 5 times

I have a water pipe that keeps busting before the PRV. The local plumber has been here 5 times to fix it. He has replaced the same fitting 3 of the 5 times.
The last 2 I have took pictures with my digital camera to keep records. He has been gracious enough to fix it the last time without charging me.
The water pipe from the meter to the house is PVC (white). One elbow in the yard busted in feb. along with the fitting before the PRV. fixed. March the fitting busted again. Plumber came out and fixed. one week later it busted again plumber came out and fixed again. Yesterday the fitting busted again. I am at witts end with this and while the plumber is in business to make money I am not going to support him alone.
Can I put a PRV next to the meter to stop this problem?

tested pressure at spiket outside says 150 PSI.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-07-07, 03:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Welcome to the forums! If you paid a plumber for a job and the job fails within a reasonable time, it should be fixed at no charge anyway, so don't feel you are supporting him. He either is furnishing inferior parts, or isn't finding the problem you called him to find in the first place. If you have 150 lbs of pressure at a sillcock on your house, the PRV is not doing its job and should be replaced. Now as far as the pressure prior to the PRV, call the city, county, etc to have the water regulated. PVC should be able to handle 200 psi, but you are pushing the envelope.

Old 06-07-07, 04:45 PM
C
CSG
On top of the correct information Chandler has provided you..if you have to call a plumber again..tell him to use schedule 80 (grey pvc) not schedule 40 (white pvc) fitting son those elbows and fittings by the PRV.

Personally whenever i install PRV's or Backflow preventers at someones home i ALWAYS use brass standpipes or schedule 80 (depending on situation) until i get back to my straight runs.

Schedule 40....always ens up breaking. ESPECIALLY if he is screwing a male metal adapter into a female plastic adapter. If anything you want to go male plastic into female metal.

If you use schedule 80 you don't have this issue.

Old 06-07-07, 07:31 PM
T
Thank you all for your solutions. At least now I will know what should be done. This is a great forum!!!!! Thank you all.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: