water pressure regulator

Old 06-07-07, 06:00 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
water pressure regulator

Hello - our hot water heater is making a jack hammer noise at about 5:30 every morning - it peeters off as we use the water. It's only 3 months old. The water authority said it is possibly the pressure & we need to adjust the regulator. We have to loosen the bolt & then the screw. Afterward, do we have to retighten the bolt? I'm not sure if the bolt has any function other than holding the screw in place. Also - it says to do it counter clockwise to lessen the pressure. The regulator is up toward the ceiling so we are looking up at it. I imagine, when they say counter clockwise, that we should pretend we are looking down at the screw - is that correct?

Any idea how to tell if the regulator is actually broken? It seems to be soldered in there so I'm not sure it will be that easy for us to replace on our own.

Thanks very much for your help. We're at our witts end with this darn banging noise!

Old 06-07-07, 08:20 PM
C
CSG
Well..for starters..when looking at something..counter clockwise is counter clockwise. Regardless if your looking up at it or down at it. It is still the same direction.

As for the cause of the water heater jack hammering....it could be something else..not just pressure. You could get a gauge at a hardware store to screw on to you washer connection to check your pressure so you can first see what the pressure is and if it is an issue or not. That would be my first step. No point in changing your pressure unless your able to read it and see what it is..right?

As for the bolt and screw..i think your referring to bolt and nut? You can't have a bolt and a screw...they don't go together .

You would loosen the nut....then loosen the bolt...then tighten the nut back down (so the bolt doesn't move).

Old 06-08-07, 04:38 AM
K
water pressure regulator

Hi CSG - thanks for the response. Funny - the water authority & home depot both called it a screw. You use a flat head screwdriver to loosen it. But anyway - I bought a guage & was told to hook it to my hose bibb. Only to find out that it bypasses the regulator. I never thought of the washer though - I think it should fit on that.

I'll try the guage tonight & see what it says. Thanks for the advice.

If it's not the pressure, do you have other theories? The guy that installed our hot water tank before we bought the house tried turning the water temp down first - didn't do a thing.

Thanks!

Old 06-08-07, 05:46 AM
C
CSG
Other theories? But of course i do

I'm gonna wait back on a report of your water pressure first though

As for your bolt/screw thingee...i geuss it depends on the type of PRV. The ones i use have a bolt and nut. I guess you could have a screw and nut...but a bolt and a screw just doesn't sound right

Old 06-08-07, 07:34 AM
Jackhammer

They are called either machine or cap screws, so the term screw is correct. The prv should be adjusted facing the top of the valve, don't confuse yourself. The bottom of the water heater should have a drain down on it, another place to check your pressure, lots of luck.

Old 06-08-07, 07:40 AM
C
CSG
Water heaters many times have pans..and it is hard to get anything due to space restrictions which is why i usually say use washer. As for the screws..well..ok. The ones i use have bolts....even if that not what their called. Only way to turn em is with a wrench or pliers.

Just poking back at ya shacko

Old 06-08-07, 04:15 PM
K
water pressure regulator

Well folks - here is where we stand.

Thank you for the suggestion of the hot water tank. It is actually easier to connect the guage there than the washer. The guage says about 78. I turn the regulator & it still hovers around there. I thought for a minute it dropped to 75, but I tried again & back up to 78. Do you have any idea how far you typically have to turn the regulator? I think we've gone 2.5 turns.

So, although I believe the regulator is probably busted, I like to be optimistic. A hardware store guy thought maybe it was air in our pipes. It started the day after we first used the dishwasher (we just moved in about 4 wks ago). Not sure if that matters. He suggests turning on all the water supplies for 5 or 10 minutes. My question is - obviously the pressure is too high. Could air in the pipes scew the pressure read? I think I'll do it just for the heck of it, but was curious about your opinion.

I know you're probably going to say we have to replace the regulator asap, but of course, it's now Friday evening & we'll probably have to wait till Monday :-( My husband is now saying we bought a lemon - one thing after another :-(

Thanks for all your help - I'm learning a lot! Even if I stil don't know a screw from a bolt ;-)

Old 06-09-07, 04:58 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Until you use some water, the pressure reading won't change.

Open a faucet *slightly*, then read the gauge while you adjust the pressure.

When the give a direction to turn something, it is when you are looking at it.
If you are looking at the bottom of the regulator and the screw is on top, then turn the screw as though you were looking at the top (or from your point of view of the bottom of the regulator, clockwise).

I don't see a need to tighten the nut, the spring puts enough pressure on the screw that it isn't likely to turn, but you can tighten it back if you like. Even hand tight would be enough.

All that being said, 78 isn't necessarily high, it's on the high side compared to what you really need, but as long as it doesn't go over 100, you're ok.

Old 06-09-07, 07:19 AM
C
CSG
In addition to what Pendragon wrote....your pressures isn't bad if it is 78 (as he stated)...so other causes of the issue could be your water heater itself. Could half little ball type check valves in the top of the water heater where the pipes connect to it. Us plumbers usually pull them out during installation....but not all of us. You can ask your plumber.

Old 06-09-07, 08:30 AM
Smile Screwed or not screwed

CSG: Poke away my man, I'm on this forum to learn or un-learn, there is no way I know all the terminology. My pet peeve is when a supply house dosen't know what they are selling. If we put all the if's, and's and but's in a post, who would read it? Have a good one.

Old 06-09-07, 09:42 AM
C
CSG
Shacko: I agree. I learned a long time ago to double check what a supply house gives me. Just the other day i ordered a box of 3/8" pex lav supplies and some polyXpex conversion couplers. I looked in the box. I got 3/8" pex wc supplies and pex couplers. *shrugs* go figure heh.

Old 06-09-07, 07:21 PM
K
jackhammer noise

CSG - could you be more specific about the ball type check valves? How do I tell if I have them & are you implying I should have them or that if we do, we should remove them? How would they result in this type of noise at 5:30 am every day?

The tank is still under warranty so I can call the guy that put it in. But his first visit was uneventful so I'd like to understand more about it before I call him.

Thanks!

Old 06-10-07, 03:26 PM
K
jackhammer noise - possibly resolved

Hello everyone - I wanted to thank you for your input & let you know that we may have resolved it. I am hopefully going to know for sure tomorrow morning. You are going to think we are crazy. Typically the noise only occurred in the morning & started to die off - seemingly after we had used the water. Well, this morning I was sitting out on the deck. I heard the noise. I looked up onto the roof and there was a darn woodpecker on top of one of the metal vents that sticks out of the roof. I didn't actually see him pecking, but I asked my husband, who was in the bedroom, if he heard the usual noise and he said yes. I heard the noise again about 4pm, peaked out the window & sure enough, the bird was there! Just to be sure I am going to get up at 5:25 tomorrow & sit by the window & wait. You all, with your suggestions, may very well have saved us a lot of money b/c we would have called a plumber if you hadn't given me hope of solving it ourselves. I doubt a plumber would have thought of a bird. Guess I have to go join a hunting forum though b/c I've no idea how to get rid of a wood pecker. But at least now it may just be a nuisance without the added worry or ruining our plumbing!

Thanks everyone. If I find out I'm wrong I'll drop another note.

Old 06-11-07, 11:10 AM
C
CSG
Lol...ive had similar situations believe it or not. I do a lot of condo work which has a lot of chases and such that help noise travel. Course...it is obviously not something you first guess at nor is it easy to guess without being on the job site looking at the job.

Glad you found your cause and thanks for telling us.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: