sink drainage issue....flooding bathroom/basement!

Old 06-07-07, 06:38 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
sink drainage issue....flooding bathroom/basement!

Ok, so I have a very serious problem with a sink drain backing up (only clean water, not grey water)....there is no new water going into the drain (we actually removed the sink and cabinet because the water was causing wood damage)...it is a persistent non-stop flow/heavy drip. Nothing I do seems to even slow it down(at least 1 gallon an hour water loss). Though one thing seems to speed it up (though it's probably completely unrelated- when the air conditioner comes on the flow increases from the drain-it appears the excess water a standard ac gives off is routed into the house rather than dripping outdoors ). Also, the toilet in this one bathroom is very slow if not un-usable. It doesn't "finish" flushing...the water never completely leaves the bowl...just gets somewhat low...I don't know if this is all a just a drainage issue....or worse...this same problem was repaired about 3-4 years ago and they said it had something to do with an outdoor faucet on the other side of the shared bathroom/exterior wall. No other drain are having any issues...even the tub in this bathroom drains fine...a teensy bit slow...but not bad at all....so...ANY help would be appreciated....we already have basement water damage from this....so....quick help even better!!

Old 06-07-07, 08:27 PM
C
CSG
Your answer? You have a clog. I'll bet 95% on this. You need to get a snake or have someone snake out your line.

Best bet is from where the toilet connects. The tub line may be tied in after this which is why it isn't having any issues and the sink/toilet is.

The outside faucet has absolutely nothing to do with this situation.

That would be my professional guess without being at your house.

As for the sink pipe leaking..you could at the hardware store buy a gemcap (black rubber cap) to temporarely seal that pipe off so no water drains out of it. All you need is a screw drive to install it...takes 5 seconds.

Only issue could be the water would rise in the pipe (which probably won't..sounds like you have a partial clog not a permanent one).

Also...other possiblility that could be causing issues (Chandler will love me for this) is your vent may be clogged. You can find the piupe going up..should exit on your roof somewhere. If possible (be very careful) you can get on the roof and shove a garden hose down the vent which should make sure it is clear.

Old 06-08-07, 04:59 PM
M
that's what I thought....only thing with sealing it is that it loses ALOT of water ...easily 5-6 gallons a day....wouldn't the pressure buildup cause a pipe to give way?....I don't want busted pipes in place of a dribbly one....and if it makes a big differance...this is a 1950's home with old metal pipes...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: