smelly bathroom

Old 06-09-07, 06:26 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy smelly bathroom

scott

recently, we discovered a nasty smell from the lady restroom. There are no sign of leaks or back-up. I was told by the local plumber that pour water down floor drain. I've done it, It went away for a day or two, then the smell is back, especially when the temperature is above 80. Please help.

Thanks in advance.
Scott

Old 06-09-07, 07:08 PM
nap
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
if pouring water in the floor drain provided temporary relief but the smell came back, I would pour more water in the floor drain.

If this rememdies the problem again and is temporary again, the trap for the floor drain is dryiing out for some reason.

I would doubt it is from evaporation in that short of time but not impossible. I would think maybe a plugged vent so when a toilet is flushed, it siphons the water from the floor drain.

Flush out your vent stack(s) to make sure they are clear.

Old 06-10-07, 01:32 PM
I
re: nap

To Nap:

Thank you for the informations. what's the vent stack(s)?

Old 06-10-07, 02:15 PM
nap
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
that is the pipe that goes up and out through the roof that allows prevents a vacuum in the waste lines. If it is plugged as sometimes happens when a bird nests in them or anything else plugs them, they will not allow enough air to flow behind the waste pipe flow so it will draw the water out from the P traps in your house.

Since the floor drain would be fairly small, the water in the drain wouldn't be that hard to siphon out with a situation such as a plugged vent.

there are actually very few pipes up through the roof. These are generally about 2 or 3 inches in diameter and have no cap on them. The are usually located nearly over a bathroom or kitchen.

Old 06-14-07, 04:25 PM
I
smelly bathroom

nap:

It has been 100 degrees for the past two days, but we haven't smell anything. So far so good , thank you so much for your help.

Iceman101

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: