Replacing Poly Main Line?

Old 06-11-07, 04:24 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing Poly Main Line?

I have a house I'm trying to sell. An inspection was preformed and the inspector thinks the water main is polybutylene (pipe has blue color w/plastic feel and look). The pipe is about 1" in diameter.

The problem is that although the run is fairly short (25-30 ft), between the water meter and house sits a concrete driveway, apron, sidewalk, tree, bushes, etc...etc....loooks like a risky and painful proposition.

This is certainly not do it yourself project so i am getting estimates. I need some advise. Is it possible with the new plumbing technology to "fish" the copper main via the current poly pipe, thereby avoiding the digging, trenching, and risk?

Also, is it possible the blue colored pipe in question is not made of polybuytelene material?

Do such poly main water lines eventually burst? Current pipe is 14 yrs old so is is question of "when", but not "if" with the situation at hand?

This is going to be expensive and a headache so any advise you can share is greatly appreciated.

thansk
tom

Old 06-11-07, 05:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Tom: just because a home inspector "thinks" it is polybutylene, it is beyond the pervue of the inspector to guess at what needs to be done. If polybutylene is acceptable to the building department where you live, and it isn't leaking, and it isn't degraded in any way, it should be left alone. Now, if it isn't code compliant for your jurisdiction, that is another story.

Old 12-11-07, 02:23 PM
T
Pb?

Sounds like PEX to me. PB is grey. PEX is white, red, or blue, and is a great product (at least that's what I've been told.) If it is PEX, no need to replace it.

Old 12-14-07, 05:28 AM
T
Blue PB

Tom,

I might stand corrected on this. In replacing the cold water PB in my crawl space, I found that at the front wall, it connected to a blue pipe. Internet research showed that this could be PB. See www.polybutylene.com/poly.html . So, your main may be PB. If so, it's probably worth replacing. I know that I will be at some point. Now that I'm done with the crawl space, I have to do the really hard work -- through the floors and walls to the sinks, etc. After that, that water main.....

At least I won't be bored for a while

- Tom Becker

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: