Plumbers License

Old 06-11-07, 08:45 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plumbers License

with 5 yrs to go before i can retire at 46 from my current job, im thinking about getting into the field of plumbing, or HVAC. can anyone tell me what i must do to get started, and how to get from a to z (licensed plumber)???

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-07, 04:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Your best bet is to contact the Secretary of State of New York. Here in Georgia, that is the agency that is in charge of our licensing. They can send you information pertinent to your location and how to go about applying for the license, taking the tests, apprenticeship requirements, etc. Good luck with the future!

Old 06-12-07, 11:51 AM
C
CSG
It is different in every State on who to contact. The rules are different as well. For example: In Florida you must have 4 years full time experience in the field and have a Licensed Contractor sign for you saying you meet the requirements. There are exceptions...college...schooling..etc that allow you to deduct up to 2 years i believe off the 4.

But Chandle ris right in pointing you at the state government. Also, you can usually go down to the local county permitting office and they'll have the information for you as well.

Old 06-12-07, 03:10 PM
T
Your state Home Builders Association is also a wonderful source of info. They should be able to provide you with info re: licensing requirements for both plumbing and HVAC, but they may pass you on to the state contractors' licensing board. Your state contractors' licensing board can provide you with this info and provide you with the info re: required tests. Most states offer courses that prepare you for these tests.

Old 06-12-07, 05:03 PM
Really depends on if you want to work for yourself or someone else.

HVAC is best addressed through a community college type environment. Pipe fitters union also covers this, but college would probably be a better bet for you.

Plumbing depends on state to state laws. Many of the codes are the same or very similar, but the plumber requirement is different. Some of the college course for HVAC will have very basic plumbing. Only an approved apprenticeship is good training for a plumber. Not bragging or being a gatekeeper, it's just what I've seen over the years. Same applies with the electricians.

Back to the work for yourself or someone else. Work for yourself will require a master's license in the particular trade. Just to work for someone doesn't need that level. Something for you to think about.

Good luck with your career choices and being able to retire at 46 from your service.

Old 06-13-07, 04:28 PM
H
To my knowledge there is no "New York State" plumbing license. Being you live in Deer Park, you best bet is to check with Suffolk County. They may require (and issue) licenses for plumbing as may individual towns.

Old 06-20-07, 06:14 AM
M
Thanks to all who replied. i value the thoughts, and insight and i'll make it useful in my decisions for the near future... have a great summer folks!!!!