Hot is Hot and Cold is Hot?????

Old 06-12-07, 04:46 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hot is Hot and Cold is Hot?????

Well that pretty much sums up the problem. We just moved into our new home last eek and everytime we turn on the cold water it is warm for about 20 seconds. I see this as a huge waste of resources... What could it be? We have one of those water/oil furnaces where the hot water pipes run through the furnace. I thought maybe this is why the cold water is a hot at first. I really don't know. Any Ideas?

Old 06-12-07, 08:35 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Do you have a basement where you can go down and feel pipes just before, then during, when someone else turns on the cold water at that fixture?

At this one 4-plex they had the same problem and the cause turned out to be that the way they plumbed (piped) the building they misfigured that if someone left certain valves (4 of them) open at the laundry tub in the basement, that somehow an interconnection occured between the cold and hot water there due to the way the different apartments tied in and what other apartments ran.

In case this may be a very difficult problem to solve, it may be up to you to check out by method I mentioned and then see if you can trace back why hot in in a particular pipe at the time that it is, per my first paragraph.

Old 06-12-07, 10:03 AM
this is a new house about 3 years old. It's still covered under Tarion home warantee but I don't want to call them in because there is a large deductable (so I am told) I have the aqua thermo unit. and the cold water valve is on running into the water heater... there are two. I shut it off.. hoping that this will not cause any problems. Not so far anyway. We'll see

Old 06-12-07, 10:41 AM
it is summertime , our pipes are in the attic , its well over 100 there today when I turn on cold it is hot for 30 / 45 seconds or so until I flush out the water in the pipes and get to the water coming from the street

Old 06-12-07, 11:43 AM
C
CSG
I agree Mango...as i live in SW Florida as well..but looks like he may be in Canada. Not sure what the temperature is there heh...and not sure if his new home is in Canade.

I always have hot water till i flush it out.

Old 06-12-07, 12:15 PM
I live in Northern Ontario. It's not that hot here at all. The water coming out of the pipes burns my hands until it is flushed out. It's VERY hot at first.

Old 06-12-07, 12:30 PM
N
is the hot water hot right when you turn it on?

there are hot water recirculator valves that dump hot water into the cold line, in order to keep the hot lines warm for quick hot water. A side effect is the cold water can run warm for a bit. Perhaps look under the sink and see if you can spot an extra valve that you might otherwise not know what it is for.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: