sink depth in relation to drain pipe

Old 06-12-07, 12:04 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
sink depth in relation to drain pipe

I am replacing my single bowl kitchen sink with a double bowl sink. The old sink has a depth of 7 inches. For the new one, the small bowl is 5 1/2 inches deep. No problem there. However, the large bowl is 10 inches deep. I haven't tried to install the new unit yet but have noticed that the drain stub
(if that's the right term) coming out of the wall is a little higher than I would like. I've measured as carefully as possible, and it looks like the bottom of the bowl with 10 inch depth will sit about 3 1/2 to 4 inches above the center of the drain stub coming out of the wall. My question is: Do I have enough "elevation" there for installation of the drain basket, tailpipe, etc., for the sink to drain properly? Seems that the bottom of the tail pipe will actually be lower than the wall drain opening, but the P-trap will turn upward so that when I install the extension from the P-trap to the drain hole, it will be at a proper level for drainage. Does this sound like it will work. Am I OK or is there a minimum clearance required as far as elevation of the bottom of the sink bowl in relation to the drain opening in the wall?
Thanks.

Old 06-13-07, 01:13 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Well, in that 3 1/2" - 4" dimension you need to fit a tee for the other sink to connect into, then you may some dimensional issues with the drain pipe that comes off the p-trap and goes back horizontal. Your best bet may be to lay everything out on the floor and see how dimensions stack up. My gues is that the wall pipe will be too high, but what do I know?

Usually sink installation instructions have a rough-in dimension for the wall plumbing, maybe the manufacturer's website has this that you can download, or maybe its already in your instruction paperwork.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: