Tub Faucet Cartridge (Moen)

Old 06-14-07, 07:48 PM
Tub Faucet Cartridge (Moen)

I have a leaking Moen tub faucet. First, the acrylic knob broke... no problem, I replaced it, but now, it has a constant leak, that is getting worse by the minute. If the house is quiet, I can even hear the faint noise of it being on. I went to the hardware store to see what it was supposed to look like 'behind the scenes' before doing anything. Found the replacement cartridge, studied it, & bought the repair kit. I came home, turned the water off, removed the pin (horseshoe shaped), but am now unable to remove the cartridge.

I've tried wiggling, prying with a flathead, and pulling with pliers... all the movement I've gotten have been the little pieces of plastic that have broken off of the flat vertical piece I'm trying to grip (so I guess that's another part I need to replace buy?). How do I pull the cartridge out?! Should I even worry about further destroying the broken plastic piece at this point? Is there another hidden pin or lock somewhere that I'm missing?

I put a bucket under the faucet while waiting to figure out my next steps, and within two hours, it was half full. I think that's too bad of a leak to ignore, so I turned the water off to the house, and watered my plants with the bucket of water... what now?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-07, 10:04 PM
Is it the 1222 or 1225 cartridge? There is a tool made by pasco to pull these stems out really easy. Sometimes pulling on it with channel locks will work but not recomended. Here is a link to the tool and a small picture of the operation on a lav faucet. Very similar to the tub set up.

http://www.nextag.com/PASCO-7040-Moen-Stem-534870260/prices-html

Old 06-15-07, 06:23 AM
Thanks...That picture's pretty small, but I'll try to get it enlarged, or go find one to look at. Maybe I've been pulling on the wrong piece. Should I be pulling on the brass piece itself, or the flat plastic piece a little farther back?

Old 06-15-07, 03:54 PM
Hi Buy the replacement cartridge (plastic one) inside the package is a tool to assist in removing the cartridge. It is white nylon. I don't know if the plastik you broke will prevent it from working but when you remove the horseshoe clip take the tool and put it over the end of the cartridge and turn it. That should turn the cartridge and loosen it up when the cartridge turns easy then grab the metal stem and pull the unit out.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 06-24-07, 07:29 AM
now, can't get it back in....

We bought the tool to remove it... what a big help. Now, the new cartridge won't seem to go in far enough to get the brass horseshoe clip back in. We've compared the two, side by side, and they look the same. What could be causing this? Should we try buying another cartridge to see if it's different?

Old 06-24-07, 04:48 PM
There is only one cartridge ( 2 actually, because the brass and plastic are interchangeable.). Did you buy a Moen brand cartridge? The generic ones are famous for not quite fitting right.

Old 06-24-07, 05:43 PM
Hi A little trick I learned when the cartridge won't go in is to pull the stem out some then push the cartridge in. Some time water in the valve stops the cartridge from going in, pulling the stem out lets the water pass.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 06-25-07, 01:38 PM
Search Engine Optimized Spammers Not Allowed!
I'm having same problem! Where did you buy tool?

Hi,

I'm having the same problem but with a shower faucet.

May I ask where you bought that tool? Did you buy it online, or was it available at a store?

I might start a new post, but in my case, the little plastic removal helper piece that comes with the new cartridge will not help remove the old cartridge since there is no gap for the plastic piece to fit into (kind of hard to describe). So I tried to just pull it out with a pliers and am deathly afraid I will break the plumbing and will have water all over. It's not even budging.

Thanks!

Old 07-04-07, 06:24 PM
Finally!! Cartridge is in! Thanks for everyone's help. I don't remember if I bought the Moen brand, or a knock-off. I threw the packaging out. I know the plastic handle replacement I bought isn't brand name, but I don't know about the cartridge itself.

To answer seosmp's question, I bought the "puller" at Home Depot. It was in the same area as the cartridge itself. Heavyt, brass, adjustable t-bar. It made all of the difference in the world! I wasn't planning to hold on to it, but was so happy with it, that I kept it, as it seems my two bathrooms seem to be within 3 months of each other for everything.

Again, thanks. It's nice to be leak free!

Old 07-11-07, 12:09 PM
Search Engine Optimized Spammers Not Allowed!
Thanks!

I appreciate the reply! I actually found one at Ace Hardware and I definitely couldn't have pulled out the cartridge w/o it! I wish they'd include that instructions since I'd never heard of the tool before reading your post. I also kept mine as I have 7 Moen faucets (b/w sinks and showers), so I know I will use it again! Ace will actually rent it for $5 for 4 hours.