Mansfield Frost-Proof Faucet

Old 06-19-07, 04:47 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mansfield Frost-Proof Faucet

I went to a customer's home yesterday. The home was built in the 70s and as far as the customer knows the outdoor Mansfield frost-proof faucet has never been worked on. Water comes streaming out of the faucet even though the handle is in the closed position. I tried removing the rusted screw from the plastic-fluted handle. The screw would not budge. Other than drilling out the screw, any ideas on how to remove it so I can make the repairs? I placed a cap on the faucet and with the water on there is a slow drip that comes from behind the handle.

Handy Matt

Old 06-19-07, 06:30 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You could always make sure the water is turned off inside, then crush the handle to bits with a large channel locks or something, to better get at the screw. By crushing out the handle you will expose more screw head by the thickness of the handle's plastic, which may be just enough to lock onto that screw with vicegrips or nippers, to unscrew it after you spray the screw with a liquid spray rust solvent. Then buy a new handle.

If you do this, take precaution from shattering plastic flying to your face/eyes by whatever means/possibly place rag over handle.

Old 06-19-07, 08:33 AM
Unhappy Frost-proof faucet

Any frost-proof faucet that old should be replaced, not repaired!

Old 06-19-07, 04:54 PM
H
Thank you for the feedback. I did stop at my local hardware store today and found that a Mansfield repair kit costs almost as much as a new faucet. The Mansfield kit contained almost all plastic parts. It looks as though I'll be going in the direction of a new faucet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: