Sewer clean-out cap tool?

Old 06-20-07, 09:34 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Sewer clean-out cap tool?

I have a rental house with the sewer clean-out cap down about a foot under the soil level. I know exactly where the cap is, so there is no problem finding it when a tenant clogs the sewer line. The problem is that I need to dig a WIDE hole to make room for a wrench handle. If there was a tool with a T-handle, much like the water shutoff tool, this would make my job MUCH easier. Does anyone know of any such a tool? If not, how about a socket for my 3/8" or 1/2" drive socket set?

BTW - the sewer cap measures 3.45" in diameter and the square nut is 1.60", which I guess would mean that my clean-out cap has a 3-1/2" cap and a 1-5/8" square nut.

Thanks, Bill

Old 06-20-07, 03:51 PM
For the countersunk cleanouts:

Pasco has a specialty tool that does all kinds of magic for these cleanout plugs. Look at: www.fwwebb.com/pdf/2003pasco/pas_d-10.pdf and see if this is something you could use.

If it's a raised head cleanout, there used to be a line of square sockets that a person could buy for the 1/2 drive and I used a breaker bar with this. Square head drive sockets can still be found at a tractor supply or farm supply type company.

Good luck...

Old 06-21-07, 05:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Here's an idea out of left field: an oil filter strap wrench like this:

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/KD-3149.html

Takes a 1/2 drive ratchet or breaker bar in the end of the square tube and is basically a 90 degree strap wrench.

Old 06-21-07, 06:06 AM
Notuboo: I checked every link and searched every manf. name you gave me. I found only one 1-5/8" square socket with a 1/2" drive from a railroad supply company, but I couldn't find anyone who sold it. But then if I had I expect the price would have been so high that I'd be looking for alternatives.

Tow Guy: The tool you suggested has a short head on it that would probably preclude getting the strap securely around the large nut.

I'm starting to think that what I should do is make a list for tenants of what can and cannot do down the kitchen drain and the toilet. This list would be part of the lease, then a tenant would be required to pay $$ if they clogged the sewer line. This might be effective . . .

Old 06-21-07, 08:57 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Every company I have ever worked for has had underground valves at varying depths and with different "heads" and they all had T-handled wrenches for them. The wrenches were fabricated from pipe and flat steel for the square head of the valve.

It may cost 30 to 50 bucks but any welding shop could fabricate a handle for you in a couple of hours or less.

Old 06-21-07, 09:15 AM
Furd: Great suggestion! I'll go to Loew's and get a spare cap to take to the welding shop, then get back to you letting you know the cost and how the new tool works out.

Thanks, Bill

Old 12-26-14, 07:44 PM
R
Sewer clean-out cap tool

1 5/8" crow foot wrench with 1/2" drive might work. I see on Amazon and Walmart for under $20 . "Sunex 97746" . In my case its under a sink and access is poor. But I plan to try a 24" x 1/2" drive extension with a breaker bar.

Old 12-26-14, 08:11 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Or try a basin wrench. Idea triggered by Ryeisenman's post.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: