Compression fittings on refrigerator filter

Old 06-20-07, 08:32 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Compression fittings on refrigerator filter

I'm having a hell of a time trying to get compression fittings to stop leaking. They don't leak until I push the refrigerator back into place, then I can see water welling up around the connections very slowly. I have 1/4" medium walled tubing, I believe. Is there another way to do this sanely? I really don't want to go through this every time the filter needs replacing.

Valve/1/4" compression --> 1/4" compression, 1/4" male/male adapter into --> filter --> 1/4" male/male L compression adapter, 1/4" compression --> refrigerator, 1/4" tube

Old 06-21-07, 04:14 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Do you have access to the line in the basement ? I installed my filter down there that way I didn't have to pull the fridge out every couple months.

Old 06-21-07, 04:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
If you are using the plastic line, are you using the brass inserts to stiffen the plastic and keep it from collapsing at the joint?

Old 06-21-07, 05:46 AM
K
I'm using all copper pipe, and there's no basement or other place to install the filter. Also, I'm worried about the next time the filter needs to be replaced!

Old 06-21-07, 09:01 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Since you have a filter on the refrigerator do you also have an undercounter filter on your sink?

I simply plumbed a tee on the outlet of my undercounter filter so it would serve both the sink and the refrigerator.

There are stainless steel braided hoses made specifically for refrigerators. Available at all the big box stores.

Old 06-21-07, 04:07 PM
K
The valve is already in place in the wall in a plastic box. I'm starting to think the only way to handle this is to mount the pipe to the wall so it doesn't move the connections around when I push the refrigerator back. Does that sound reasonable?

Old 06-21-07, 04:40 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
I too have a plastic box with a valve, tap, spigot or whatever you wish to call it behind my refrigerator. I ignored it and ran the copper tubing behind the dishwasher and under the sink to my filter.

The stainless steel braided hose I mentioned has the correct end fittings to match to the refrigerator, the refrigerator filter and the tap in the wall box. If you desire to use the wall box tap and the (in my opinion) ridiculously expensive refrigerator filter you could use a short piece of copper tubing with each end having compression nuts and ferrules to either mount the filter at the wall box or the refrigerator and use the flexible (SS) hose to run between the refrigerator and the wall box.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: