Water Tank Overflow Fittings

Old 06-25-07, 06:37 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Water Tank Overflow Fittings

I have a 275 gallon water tank with flat plastic sides and I need to install a 1.5 to 2" overflow.

The overflow fitting will need to be water tight.

I want to attach PVC pipe to the overflow (outlet side) to drain waste away from the tank.

Does anyone have any idea what I need to get, what the parts are called and where I can get them ?

Thanks,
Craig.

Old 06-25-07, 06:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Fill us in on what you are wanting to accomplish with this tank. It may make a difference as to what we suggest. From what you describe, you have a plastic septic tank.

Old 06-25-07, 07:01 PM
C
The tank is being used for rain water and creek water. It is one of those bulk food tanks (plastic in a steel cage). I need the overflow to prevent spillage when it rains a lot or when pumping from the creek. The creek pump (Wayne 1/3Hp Sump Pump) pumps through a 1.25" pipe into the tank. I figure that a 1.5 to 2" overflow will be sufficient to carry any excess away.

Craig.

Old 06-25-07, 08:05 PM
C
Never mind, I found a solution... thanks.

I found this article while searching the web. http://www.truetex.com/bulkhead.htm

This is exactly what I need, and cheap too.

Thanks,
Craig.

Old 06-26-07, 03:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
That'll work. You may want to substitute another female adapter on the open end with a screw in cap to keep from having to use a worm gear clamp everytime you want to access the water. Do you have enough access to the inside of the tank to do this? I have tanks on my springs up here in the mountains, and access is limited due to their size and the distance from the mouth to the place where I want to place the drain. Also take into consideration freezing. The fittings will need protection to prevent breaking during the winter months.

Old 06-26-07, 09:08 AM
C
Thumbs up

The tank has a hole at the top in the center, and a 2" ball valve at the bottom.

I'm going to cut a hole in the side about 3" below the top of the tank.

I'll use a piece of string through the hole to make sure I don't drop the inside bit into the tank. I should be able to reach the wall through the opening (it's about 12" wide). I am sure it will be quite entertaining trying to tighten the fittings .

I do not need access via the overflow. I will put a screw-on bit at the end with some mesh on it to prevent mosquitoes from venturing into the tank. That way I can easily remove it if the mesh needs cleaning.

Thanks,
Craig.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: