Water coming into house (Post Moved Here)

Old 06-28-07, 10:30 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Red face Water coming into house (Post Moved Here)

My parents' home is in the middle of farm country, built on a concrete slab too close to the ground, on black clay earth. No basement. The surrounding land is flat. Each time it rains fairly heavily, water runs into their garage(which is the same level as the concrete driveway), all the way to a bedroom wall and seeps in under the baseboards into the adjoining closet. Water also comes in under baseboards in a patio room they had built (enclosed) several years ago. They are elderly, on a fixed income and can't afford costly repairs. Someone suggested to me that installing a sump pump outside the foundation might help get the water away from the house. A NEW French drain would have to be installed first to route the water to the sump well. They already have a French drain (poorly installed by a well-meaning handyman friend.) It was not sloped enough to carry the water away from the house fast enough during heavy rains, especially since the concrete slab is so close to ground level. Is this a viable fix for their problem? Is there something we could do ourselves, if we hired muscle to help? As their daughter, I want to help and am able-bodied and fit enough to do so, but I'm no spring chicken and can't do it all. I also can't afford costly repairs. Any viable deas are very welcome. Thanks in advance for your input.

Old 06-29-07, 12:12 AM
I'd see if your dad knows of any field drainage tiles near the house. The perimeter drain hooked to a good drainage tile should handle most storms.

Old 06-29-07, 05:23 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,267 Upvotes on 1,207 Posts
Had a neighbor with this problem. There was sheetrock on the wall the water was penetrating in the garage, so he caulked the joint between the sheetrock and the wall and then made sure to push the water out of the garage with a squeegee as soon as he noticed it.

Old 06-29-07, 05:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
If the house has guttering, piping the down spouts away from the house would be the cheapest/easiest fix.

Old 06-29-07, 12:48 PM
N
bump

similiar problem..following thread...

Old 06-30-07, 12:13 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Ideally the ground all around the house should slope away from the house. If this cannot be done then the water needs to be intercepted before or at the foundation perimeter with drainage pipes.

Ridgid pipes are far better than flexible and they need to slope away from the house at no less than 1/4 inch per foot of length to an area that is both lower than the house and where the discharged water will not cause other problems.

If you cannot slope the pipes then they will need to run to a sump with a pump that can discharge the water to a safe place.

Run all gutter drains (downspouts) to rigid non-perforated (sealed) piping and discharge this piping far from the house in the same manner as the perimeter drains.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: