Dishwasher Supply Leak

Old 07-07-07, 02:52 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 425 Upvotes on 378 Posts
Dishwasher Supply Leak

Hello,

I am in the process of installing a dishwasher using a 3/8" bendable copper tubing as the supply line. As silly as it may sound, I'm having trouble making a tight seal with the copper pipe. I've tried using a 3/8" compression fitting into the elbow that connects to the dishwasher, but inevitably, it leaks (or sprays) out between the fitting and the copper tubing.

I'm thinking I may have to flare the pipe, but I was thinking with the new compression fittings, that's not necessary. (If I don't need to buy a $30 flaring tool that I'm going to use once, all the better).

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Old 07-07-07, 04:00 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
To properly make up a compression fitting you need to have the nut on the tube, then the ferrule. push the tube to the bottom of the fitting and hold it there while threading the nut on hand tight. Continue to hold the tubing "bottomed" in the fitting and tighten the nut one and one-quarter turns beyond hand tight with a wrench and then check for leaks. If the fitting still leaks then tighten the nut until it stops but no more than an additional three-quarters of a turn (two full turns from hand tight). Do not tighten any more than required to stop it from leaking.

By now you may have deformed the ferrule to the point of not being able to make it leaktight. If so you will need to get a new ferrule and cut off the end of the tubing and try again.

If you continue to have trouble buy a stainless steel braided hose made for dishwashers.

Old 07-07-07, 07:57 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A flexible, braided dishwasher connector is so much easier to use. Cost about $10 to $12.

Just a thought.

Old 07-08-07, 10:59 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 425 Upvotes on 378 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried it again with a new ferrule and re-cutting the pipe, with similar results. I think the tubing must have been a bit deformed because of it being rolled. When it was unrolled, I guess it wasn't a perfect round.

I changed it out with a braided stainless steel hose, which was much easier, and worked like a charm.

Thanks for the help.
-Mike

Old 07-08-07, 08:32 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
As I'm very fond of copper and its uses in plumbing.....I stopped using copper for dishwasher and icemaker feeds about 7 years ago.

I always use the best stainless braided supplies money can buy and never have callbacks. Copper when moved/disturbed can leak. Plastic is banned in my state for either of the above due to reliability over time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: