Kitchen Sink Drain/Vent Problem

Old 07-08-07, 05:23 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Kitchen Sink Drain/Vent Problem

When I release a sink full of water from the kitchen water bubbles up into the tub. The kitchen sink is on the main level with the tub in the basement just beneath it. I tried Liquid Plumber in the tub, which might be a little slow but not stopped up. We recently moved in to this 37 year old house and I think that the basement tub was added after the home was built. There is some issue with venting in that bathroom as a unique piece of PVC was installed under the bathroom sink during our inspection/purchase process. Any ideas on how I can correct this situation? Thanks!

Old 07-08-07, 05:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Welcome to the forums! It appears you have a venting problem. Your vents are tied together and exit through the roof. Since the pipe is exposed, squirrels and other members of family rodentia tend to drop twigs, acorns, leaves and whatever they can find in the pipes. Eventually this causes a clog in the vent. A good description as to what has happened is placing a soda straw into a soda bottle, placing your thumb over the straw and withdrawing the straw. The liquid will stay in the straw until you release your thumb and the pressure is allowed to equalize. Now as far as your house goes, venting should be cleared from the roof with a garden hose (water off). You chug the clog until it is released and goes on down into the sewer system. However, if you do not feel comfortable getting up on your roof, you should call a professional to do the job. It isn't the fall, but the sudden stop that makes for an unhappy day.

Old 07-08-07, 08:28 PM
And to add,

Find out where that piping connects the sink and tub together and perform some drain cleaning at that junction point.

The plumber/professional can easily perform both tasks.

Old 07-09-07, 01:45 AM
L
Thanks!

Thank you for both ideas; I'll get some more drain cleaner today and we'll make a plan to check out the vent next weekend - we have a woodsy lot and many squirrels and birds. And we love the thought of climbing on the roof during the dog days of NC summer!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: