Minimum height of stack vent on A Frame Cabin

Old 07-10-07, 11:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Minimum height of stack vent on A Frame Cabin

I have a small A frame cabin and have recently had plumbing installed (indoor plumbing is a good thing). I have noticed a septic smell when outdoors. I think possibly the main vent stack pipe needs to be extended to make it higher. The cabin is 16 feet wide and the vent stack is about 2 feet from the end of the cabin. I would say the top of the vent stack is at approximatley 7 feet higher than the deck floor. How much taller do I need to extend the vent stack? Do I also need to extend the shower vent pipe? The main stack vent pipe is the white 3 inch diameter pipe and the shower is smaller than 3 inch. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to make the pipe so tall it looks silly, but I want to eliminate the fumes.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-07, 02:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Extending the stack pipes won't necessarily eliminate the smell. It depends largely if you have prevailing winds from the opposite side of the house. I did a couple of remodels in a neighborhood on a mountain edge, and where I parked my jobsite trailer had a terrible smell. As it turned out I parked on the upper side and the wind came up in the form of a thermal from the valley and vortexed over the roof, carrying the smell to the ground and, primarily, where I was standing, yuk.