Garbage Disposal Wiring

Old 07-11-07, 11:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Garbage Disposal Wiring

I just hooked up a replacement Insinkerator disposal (note: a tiny piece of gravel used in fish tanks will shoot a hole right through a disposal causing it gets down in there, hence the new disposal). I happened to buy a newer version of the original, a Badger 5. Since it had all the same connecting parts, I used the original electrical cord to complete the wiring instead of purchasing a new kit. My only problem is that the instructions say connect black to black and white to white. The original cord doesn't have any coloring - it's just copper wires in a grey cord. I just winged it and went ahead and connected it. It seems to be working fine. I'm wondering if guessing on the wiring will turn out to be a crucial mistake or if it really isn't a big deal and I should just let it be.

Thanks.

Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBER; 07-15-07 at 08:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-07, 04:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
What you replaced was an Insinkerator, not an aerator. It is a garbage disposal. The title really got my attention, as I have never heard of an "electric" aerator on a sink.
Anyway, does the cord plug into a receptacle under the sink? If it is hard wired, it sounds as if they used Underground Feeder cable. there is a coating on each wire, but they were stripped flush with the cable casing. You should be able to tell black from white by lightly stripping back some of the gray casing. Determine this, and hook it up correctly. You may have it right, already, but check to make sure. You failed to mention if there was a grounding conductor, which is important, also.

Old 07-12-07, 09:16 PM
Smile insinkeraetor update

I tried stripping back the cording to expose the colored wires - which just exposed more copper and no color insulation. I found out after a fun little trip to Home Depot that one side of the cord is ribbed to indicate white and the other side smooth, to indicate black. I'll store that info. somewhere back in my do-it-yourself file of my little brain. Thanks for your help.

Old 07-13-07, 04:14 AM
You have lamp cord. Take it loose immediately and replace it with either SO cable or NM-B cable. The lamp cord isn't approved for this application. It also has no grounding conductor as does the SO or NM-B.

Old 07-13-07, 09:13 AM
Wink insinkeraetor update

It's definately not lamp cord. It is idenctical to the cord kit for disposals the Depot sells. It has a third prong and a green grounding wire (which is connected to the grounding screw).

Old 07-13-07, 01:16 PM
Received 29 Votes on 22 Posts
Finally some correct advice from a big box store.

Yes, the ribbed side (identified conductor) connects to the white wire of the disposer unit and the non-ribbed side connects to the black wire of the disposer.

Chandler, I have seen these cables used on several appliances. It looks like a #16 or a #14 three-conductor zip cord with a molded on standard 15 ampere grounded plug. The "ribbing" is the only visual method to determine the neutral wire.

Old 07-13-07, 04:05 PM
Roger that, furd, I just visualized lamp cord when he mentioned the ribs, and it scared me a little. Now that I have been assured it has a grounding wire as well, I understand. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 07-13-07, 04:25 PM
... or she

-Schlumpy

Old 07-13-07, 05:26 PM
OOps! Sorry! Freudian slip. My wife just calls it being a male chauvinist pig, but that's ok.