Drain Pipe Replacement

Old 07-15-07, 08:38 AM
Question Drain Pipe Replacement

Hi,
My main plumbing system is cast iron and runs along the outside of the house, easy access. There is a main vent stack that connects to the toilet, and than off shoots to the kitchen sink and bath room sink where all the vents work back to the main vent stack, the drains drain back to the main stack.
The drain from the kitchen is leaking as it drains back to the main stack, you can see the split in the pipe between the two connector joints. I am at a loss as to how to repair this, because it is cast iron, what type of pipe should I replace this with, should I replace the entire kitchen vent/drain pipe with copper?? how do I fit copper pipe into existing cast iron seeing as to how they use to do it with lead around the fittings? Its an old system but other wise in great shape, I do not want to replace the whole thing.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-07, 08:51 PM
I would cut and remove the old piping and replace it with PVC piping and rejoin back to the existing pipe by means of mission couplings.

These couplings are banded couplings with a stainless steel shroud with two clamps that use an rubber inner sleeve to join the two dissimilar products.

Copper would be quite expensive even though it can be used. DWV copper is like $80 for a 10' section of 1.5" pipe.

Old 07-16-07, 10:00 AM
joining drain pipe

Thanks for the info, I do have some scrap copper I think I can use, I will go and look for the couplings
thanks again