Drain Pipe Replacement


Old 07-15-07, 08:38 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Drain Pipe Replacement

My main plumbing system is cast iron and runs along the outside of the house, easy access. There is a main vent stack that connects to the toilet, and than off shoots to the kitchen sink and bath room sink where all the vents work back to the main vent stack, the drains drain back to the main stack.
The drain from the kitchen is leaking as it drains back to the main stack, you can see the split in the pipe between the two connector joints. I am at a loss as to how to repair this, because it is cast iron, what type of pipe should I replace this with, should I replace the entire kitchen vent/drain pipe with copper?? how do I fit copper pipe into existing cast iron seeing as to how they use to do it with lead around the fittings? Its an old system but other wise in great shape, I do not want to replace the whole thing.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-07, 08:51 PM
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: KY/OH
Posts: 3,523
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would cut and remove the old piping and replace it with PVC piping and rejoin back to the existing pipe by means of mission couplings.

These couplings are banded couplings with a stainless steel shroud with two clamps that use an rubber inner sleeve to join the two dissimilar products.

Copper would be quite expensive even though it can be used. DWV copper is like $80 for a 10' section of 1.5" pipe.
Old 07-16-07, 10:00 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
joining drain pipe

Thanks for the info, I do have some scrap copper I think I can use, I will go and look for the couplings
thanks again
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: