Moving Washing Machine to Garage

Old 07-16-07, 10:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Moving Washing Machine to Garage

Hi everyone and Thank You in advance for any and all help!!!
I want to move my washer and dryer to my garage so I can convert what is now the "laundry/pantry" into all pantry space. We do not use our garage for our cars (never had a car in garage after 5 years in house) but if we did there is plenty of room for the cars evene with washer and dryer. We have a septic tank, everything is electric and we live in a mild climate (Georgia). We are on a slab.
My garage opens to my kitchen and the current laundry room is about 2 feet to the left after entering kitchen from garage. The laundry room has 1 wall that is a garage wall, 1 wall that is an exterior wall by front door and the other interior in hallway. The washer and dryer currently are connected on the exterior wall with dryer venting to my front porch (yep, horrible location).
So I am trying to make this as easy and inexpensive as possible, I am thinking that the existing plumbing is only approx 3 ft from that garage wall and could be moved or retroed or something to allow the washer to be in the garage without a major rehab, I would even be willing to get an extra long hose to go thru the garage wall and attach to the current plumbing without moving, if possible. 2 things that concern me, garage wall fire wall and what that means and the junction box is located on that wall as well.

I have no clue about these things and it seems very easy in my mind but I am 99% of the time completely wrong, I just wanted to get some ideas and thoughts before calling a plumber.
Thank you,
Becca

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-07, 04:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Moving the laundry to the garage is doable. Keep in mind a few things.....freezing weather, no heat in garage, location of drain line and accessibility of supply lines and electrical service for washer and dryer.
Don't run "hoses", plumb it properly with shut off valves. It will enhance resale value if done right, and will make your life easier while you have it to use.
If you penetrate the firewall, you will need to seal the holes you make with proper fire rated sealant (can be obtained at electrical/plumbing house).
You may have an issue with elevation, since your house is probably 14" higher than the garage floor, so draining may be a problem.