cpvc male mip adapter "Cold Water Only"

Old 07-18-07, 06:34 PM
Question cpvc male mip adapter "Cold Water Only"

I am replumbing my house with cpvc because I have "aggressive water" that is attacking my copper. Some, not all, of the male threaded MIP adapters are labeled "Cold Water Only". At Lowes all the bins with these particular fittings are labeled that way. What's up with that? I installed a couple on a hot water line before I noticed the label. Does it have anything to do with expansion? My hot water is only about 140 degrees so I'm tempted to take a chance and leave them in but if I have to take them out, what can I use in place of them? The two connections are to a shower valve. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-07, 04:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Gosh! of all the male cpvc adapters I have installed on showers, over the years, I'd better go back and change them all out! No seriously, I have never had an issue with the male adapters. I could see a potential problem with the female ones since they have a rubber washer inside them that could be affected by excessive heat, but male, not sure. Now, it could be the particular brand they are carrying, so you can check at a plumbing supply house to make sure.

Old 07-19-07, 05:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Supposedly the male adapters won't take the heat as well as the female adapters but like Larry I've used the male fittings on hot water on my own house without any problems.