basement ejector pump

Old 07-20-07, 04:14 AM
basement ejector pump

In my basement, there is an ejector pump to pump water to the sewer. I noticed tt pumped water very slowly and the pump was on for a long long time before shut off. I called a plumber, and he told me I need to replace the ejector pump. He charged me $550 for this job.

Two days after, the pump is not working, the water continued to go thru the pump and won't stop. We had to turn off the pump to stop the continued water pumping.

The plumber came again today and he said there are two problems, that he did not diagnose before:

1) In the room where the water softener is, there is one pipe that is connected to ejector pump, there is a blockage in the pipe, which slowed down the pumping water out to the sewer. He has fixed this blockage today.

2) The 2nd issue is the container/tub (ejector pump tank) was full of water, and he is not sure why that happened. He said the tank was not full of water, the first time when he came last week to give estimate. But when he came the 2nd time to replace the ejector pump, he said the tank was full of water, so as today. He asked us to keep an eye on it, in case the tank is full of water again.

I do not like his answer, that means he does not know how to fix it, and charged me with $550. Can you help with this situation. Do you know what could possibly wrong to cause the ejector pump tank to be full of water, even after he replaced with a new ejector pump. Thanks

p.s. We flushed the basement at night, and it flooded the bathroom. Called the plumber again, hope he knows how to fix this time, do you have any ideas what's wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-07, 07:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There are a few components to thsese things; sump, motor, float and check valve to keep the water you are raising out of the sump from coming back into the sump. I did one about 3 years ago and had to actually remove toilet AND cut access in wall behind toilet to get at everything. I was able to fix it and never worked on one before. It is simply seeing and observing. Sounds like you have float or float switch in there not cutting off the power once it is full. (If you ever had a check valve issue it would pump normal, shut off, then pump again - viscous cycle.)

This basement had two such 'pits' and pumps, and maybe yours is not the one for the toilet. But other than that, everything else said should apply, I'd think.