Hole in lead pipe

Old 07-20-07, 12:13 PM
Hole in lead pipe

Please help me. I have a hole in the lead piping (approx. 5-6 inches long) which is between the toilet flange and the cast iron T. The hole is at the top of the pipe and only leaks when there is a lot of water going through. It is about half the size of a dime (Canadian). I know I should have the lead piping replaced but my finances say "Not going to happen at this time". Is there any way I can stop this? Someone said roof (putty? cement?) and/or plumbers tape. Will this work? And for how long? The house was build around 1910 and the toilet is on the second floor.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-07, 04:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Read cast iron waste piping thread suggestion - the GOOP. It works. Done it. Patched good sized hole on BOTTOM of pipe (s), and so far has held up about 3? years. Can't see why it won't outlast me, unless the water cuts through it in time. So I'd just add more ontop. You will want to put several coats on it as it is runny to a degree, to build up the thickness, and clean the bonding area good. Neighbor used it to bond his cracked bathtub with it, too.