Stubborn galvanized pipe cap plug

Old 07-20-07, 07:02 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stubborn galvanized pipe cap plug

I have an obstruction in a utility room drain pipe that is very old and is draining very slow. The drain is used only for a utility sink ( washing machine drains into sink).. The drain pipe is capped with an end plug, old and a bit rusted. I will have to remove the end plug to give me straight in access to attempt to snake the drain pipe... Question: what are some good ways to break the end plug free?? Liquid wrench, heat, ??? What do the professionals do with hard-to-break-loose connections?

Thank you..... jprov1768

Old 07-21-07, 05:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Yes, all of the above. Sometimes soaking the joint with a penetrating type product will help. Two pipe wrenches in opposite directions. Heat can help with the rust, since rust is oxidation (or slow fire), but try the penetration method first.

Old 07-21-07, 11:37 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Penetrating oil and/or in conjunction with torch heat applied to the FEMALE joint holding the plug - NOT the plug - you want to expand the metal that is AROUND the plug, without expanding the plug along with it! - and a long cheater pipe on pipe wrench. Done lots of these in old places 1950's and before that were probably never removed before. [Never do such jobs without pail of water, water in spray bottle, and fire extinguisher at your side, if you involve fire inside a building!]

Caution: Without lots of prior experience like I have, do not spray on penetrating oil first and then use flame to it! First use flame and after it cools down some to be below any flash point, use the penetrating oil to go into the now expanded fitting. If flame is applied to wet penetrating oil, the oil on the fitting will burn and the flame will go upward!!!!

Last edited by ecman51; 07-21-07 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Caution added

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: