Winterizing outdoor water line

Old 07-20-07, 05:59 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Winterizing outdoor water line

I recently ran a PEX water line to a distant side of my yard, for irrigation purposes (instead of dragging hoses all over the place).

I have everything ready to plumb the outdoor side of it, but when it came to the indoor setup I realized I wanted to be able to send compressed air thru the line to winterize it.

The PEX will be changed to copper before entering the house, and the plan was to just tap into the existing cold water line. Was going to get a ball valve to allow a close off inside the house, but Im not sure if I should be looking for something else to faciliate sending air thru the line (do valves with something built in to send air thru the lines exist?)

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Old 07-20-07, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
There are a few ways of doing this but I chose to run the two lines I have to the outside hose bib and connect them to a three outlet garden hose splitter.

I made up an adapter for my air compressor and connect it to the third outlet on the splitter.
I shut off the valve at the house, open one of the circuits and direct air to whichever line I want to blow.

I now actually found an easier way by just connecting the water line at my shop 125 feet away to my shop air compressor through a regulator.
I can then manipulate the valves to blow out the whole system of several hundred feet of line.

Old 07-22-07, 05:52 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. I knew it was possible

Another question - exactly what products am I looking for? I can find water pressure regulators, but I havent found anything that allows a connection to a compressed air source.

Do I just plumb in a compressor quick-connect in the middle of the copper that supplys water to the outside? I wasnt sure if the water going past the disconnect would cause corrosion/leakage. Or maybe I just use a cleanout plug that I remove and put in a female female connector with an air source connected on one side? I guess there are multiple ways to do it, just not sure what the best is. I think the cleanout plug idea might be best, because I dont have to worry about leakage from a compressor part.

-Chris

Old 07-22-07, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
You can make up an adapter that has an airline male quick connect on one end and a female garden hose connector on the other.

Just fasten the garden hose connector to a faucet near the supply and plug the quick connect into the end of anairline.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: