how do i retro fit old ceramic sewer pipes?

Old 07-22-07, 11:07 AM
Unhappy how do i retro fit old ceramic sewer pipes?

i am replacing the shower, toliet and adding a sink to a basement bathroom and i had to break the floor to replace the sewer pipes that connect the three. i have reached the sewer pipe but it seems to be made from ceramic pipes, how do i replace the piece i need to without having to do the whole pipe? i found that where the connection was is cracked and leaking from before and seems to have been the root of the mold problem i had in that bathroom. it had one pipe that seems to have been retro fitted with steel pipe and another that connected to the sewer pipe for the kitchen sink on the first floor as well as the sink in the basement. i do not have a problem replacing the connection from the kitchen or basement sinks but am stumped at the reto fitting of the ceramic pipe in the ground. should i have two connections for the sewer of this bathroom or should i make all three connections off of one of them? HELP.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-07, 12:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are you digging up sort of into the middle of the run of ceramic sewer pipe? In otherwords, does your existing metal drain pipes tie into the ceramic in a "Y" fitting, let's say? And if so how did THEY do it? And just where is this crack in relation to the ceramic and metal pipes? Please describe the detail more and what is all known about the inside and outside diameter of the pipe? And do you know if this ceramic pipe is actuially like in 3 foot long sections with a hub at an end of each joint?

Old 07-22-07, 08:28 PM
Unhappy ceramic pipe connections

the bathroom has two ceramic sewer pipes, one that connected to the shower and the other to the toliet. they connected pvc to the shower and metel for the toliet but did a poor job, i think concrete was used as a fastener to connect ceramic pipe to both metel and pvc. the two sewer pipes seem to go toward each other and meet at a y splitter. the leak came from a crack at the end of the ceramic pipe where it connects to the pvc for the shower. i also have a cold water like that runs close to the ceramic pipes one for the basement sink that is outside the bathroom and the other that was used for the toliet.

Old 07-23-07, 06:36 AM
Any theories on your part as to what cause that crack? And is that part of the ceramic "Y" pipe? I am thinking that you probalby have to section out the "Y" and see if the outside diameter of the ceramic will allow Fernco couplings so you can piece-in comparable sized PVC maindrain line piece. You never said how big this ceramic drainpipe is.

Old 07-23-07, 03:42 PM
Unhappy ceramic pipes

the crack seems to have been caused by the job done by the previous owner, because it is just beyond the part they connected the pvc to. i think you may be right as to having to replace the pipe from the y, if i measure the pipe from the inside its probably 6 inches from bottom to top. but by the same token i have not excavated to the y, so im hoping not to have to go that far. i want to do this job correctly so it does not leak, i do not want to have to redo this job anytime soon.

Old 07-23-07, 05:11 PM
IF say one of the PVC off-shoots was 2 inch, you would be okay to just repair the crack with say a wrap made for water pipes to bind it and keep it from leaking or splitting worse, and then cut the 2 inch pvc where good and splice in with 1 1/2 inch PVC to some other fixture if need be.

But if it warrants it, sectioning out he entire ceramic Y piece may be the way to go. Maybe you could digital photo it and put it on Photobucket or something to get everyone's opinion.

Old 07-28-07, 08:48 PM
Talking almost have it finished

after speaking to my buddy, he said he had replaced his (he lives next door to me) but it had to be cut and not to replace the y. he had the guy that helped him cut and retro fit his come over and he cut it with a clay pipe cutter (some kinda chain link cutter), so far ive been able to lay and cover the sewer pipe for the toilet and the sink. i have the pvc connected to a rubber joint connector to reduce the 5'' clay pipe to fit a 4'' pvc, ive placed two y's per clay pipe. one for the sinks from upstairs and the sink in the basement outside the bathroom (conneted to a t fitting) and the shower. the other clay pipe i have going to the new sink im placing in the bathroom and the toilet, i will also be installing a breather that runs from the pipe for the bathroom sink (but before the sink trap) to run in the wall to outside. this will eliminate the low suction the toliet had. i also am installing a trap in to the shower, to eliminate the smell that used to come up from the sewer. tommorow i will pour the cement after leveling the dirt. thanks for your help in figuring this one out, ill post again when i get to the framing of the bathroom and the weilding of the water pipes if i run into any problems.

Old 07-28-07, 11:28 PM
You should probably replace as much of the terra-cotta as you are able. It cuts very easily with snappers - the same ones used for cast-iron.

Old 07-29-07, 07:20 AM
New Drain for garage under construction

Dirt work is complete, foundation to be formed Tuesday July 31st. I have water line and electrical conduit buried. Would like to have sewer line for future. Where do I put it? Does it need to be sloped towards exsisting sewer drain?