Broken bathub drain replacement

Old 07-22-07, 05:49 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Broken bathub drain replacement

So, we have(had) one of the quarter spin and seal bathtub plugs. It was corroding and finally broke. I bought a new one and was set to replace the broken one with the nice new one. I used pliers, inserted handles first, to try to unscrew the current drain assembly. This resulted in the breaking of the 4 things that make up a plus sign "+" in the bottom of the drain. Now, I have no way to unscrew the dang thing. It is as though I need something like a large de-burrer for the inside of a pipe. I could jam it in the hole, then as I unscrew, the teeth could bite into the metal that is the part that I need to unscrew. Anyone have any ideas how to get this thing out. The house is about 5 years old, and it is hard for me to believe that the assembly was so corroded that it broke on me. What the heck do I do now?

Thanks in advance,

-John

Old 07-22-07, 06:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
John: Welcome to the forums! There is a tool that could have saved you alot of headaches, made for removing the cross drain. But it is a moot point, now. You may have a chance if any of the cross is left. Buy the drain removal tool (looks like a tuning fork on one end and a castle on the other end, and try it. Post back if we can help further.

Old 07-22-07, 07:18 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Chandler-

Thanks for the reply. I saw those things at Lowe's for about $7 but opted against it because I saw somewhere that pliers could be used. I couldn't imagine that the pliers would have been any different than using that device that you mentioned. Maybe I am incorrect, but I think that this would have broken regardless of the tool used. Regardless, I am screwed now. Any ideas of what I can do now...with the thing screwed up.

Thanks again...

-John

Old 07-24-07, 04:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
You are probably right that you may have broken it anyway, but the castle end does give equal pressure on each of the cross pieces and tends to give more torque capability. Now, you may get a small cold chisel and try driving it lightly to the left with a hammer (you wont hurt what you have destroyed). The shock may help release the hold it has on the drain coupling below.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: