Microbiologically Influenced Corrosion

Old 07-24-07, 10:04 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Microbiologically Influenced Corrosion

MIC -
Anyone heard of this?
Discovered this term while searching for information regarding possible human contamination from this activity.
Usually found in fire sprinkler systems where water is 'stagnant' for extended periods of time without treatment.
Anyone know anything about this..and its possible effects when someone is exposed to it?
Could be something of interest and concern ..
tia

Old 07-24-07, 10:22 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
What exactly do you wish to know?

It is also common in poorly treated cooling towers where the corrosion takes place under a mass of biological encrustation.

I am not aware of any specific human health hazard from the effect of corrosion although Legionaire's Disease can be traced to poorly controlled (biologically speaking) cooling towers.

Old 07-24-07, 10:30 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Im tryiing to determine if one can become ill from being exposed to this type of contaminated water.
You mentioned 'Legionaires Disease' as one possiblilty .. just wondering if other possibilites exist..and what kind of symptoms would one experience.
I was on a demo a while back and exposed to stale water from a fire sprinkler system which soaked the insulation and drywall ceiling. Altho I didnt ingest any water directly, it did soak my shirt (and stained it beyond cleaning) and was wet all over.
Wondering if I couldve become ill from this...!
Thanks.

Old 07-24-07, 11:26 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
The kind of biological contamination present in stagnant fire protection sprinkler piping is different than would likely be present in a cooling tower.

It is highly unlikely that you could contract any disease from taking an inadvertant bath in stagnant sprinkler water.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: