Too many elbows reducing water pressure?

Old 07-28-07, 08:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Too many elbows reducing water pressure?

I am in the process of finishing my basement. I had to re-route some pipes so they would run in the soffit for my I-beam.

Originally, the cold water pipe had 3, 90 degree elbows: One on the supply side and 2 prior to running up to my kitchen sink. Now I have an extra 45 degree bend on one side, and on then just prior to heading upstairs, I have 2 extra 90 degree bends and 2 extra 45 degree bends.

The hot water pipe did not need as much modification, but I also added a couple of 90 degree bends.

Since doing this work, I have noticed a decrease in water pressure on the cold water side. If I had to guess, I'd say it's a 30-40% reduction as compared to the hot side. What is the likelihood that all the extra bends could cause the reduction in water pressure?

Also, would it make sense to use a 1/2" braided (flexible) pipe to replace all the bends that are present right before the pipe runs up to the kitchen. Not sure if it's OK to use flex in the middle of a run of pipe.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-07, 09:15 AM
I'm not a plumber, but I would avoid using anything like SS braided line in the middle of a run. I know they make "sweeps" that would have less resistance than a sharp 90. I'd suspect you could use rolled 1/2 water tubing to make gentler corners as well. See what the pros say.

Pete

Old 07-28-07, 11:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If your lines are 1/2 inch i.d., doubtful elbows are the cause. I've been in places where lines go every which way with lots of elbows and t's and have never seen a problem. Are lines all copper? IF - you sweated in new copper, did you use too much solder? (Only about 1 inch is necessary) You can get balls that form inside (like how mercury goes to balls) that can wind up at the fixture also and block where there are reductions at stops and fixtures.

Old 07-29-07, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
You can get balls that form inside (like how mercury goes to balls) that can wind up at the fixture also and block where there are reductions at stops and fixtures.
Thanks! You got me on the right track.

I disassembled my faucet and found small black bits in the cartridge on the cold water side, as well as the cartridge for the main stem. I removed the cold water globe valve insert under my sink and found that the stem washer was corroded. The black bits I had found up top were fragments of the corroded stem washer. I replaced the washers (hot side, too) and then flushed the system a bit--I left the cartridges off the faucet, turned the supply on a bit, and let water spew out a little. That pushed the last few bits of crud out the faucet. When I reassembled the faucet, the cold water pressure was better then ever.

Old 07-30-07, 04:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Glad to hear it. Thanks for posting back your results.

[I have a Hydrojet w/h dip tube that is breaking up clogging every fixture in a house I work on. ]