What size pump to get water out of cistern for washer?

Old 07-30-07, 06:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What size pump to get water out of cistern for washer?

I have an underground cistern - large - was put in probably back in the late 1800s since the house was built in 1863 - it is in a summer kitchen where they must have dried meat and did canning.
It currently has a hand pump - but I thought to put in an electric pump and hook my washer to it for water then send the drain water directly out to the septic tank which is not very far away - about 50 feet away.

1st Question: what size pump would i need to get the water out and into the washer machine - and i realize it would be cold water only.

2nd Question: what size pump would i need to take the water from the washer to the septic tank - no real slope to work with - pretty much a direct line from the washer drain hose to the septic tank ( about 50 feet away)?

any links or pictures would be helpful too - Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-07, 04:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A conventional method would be to use perhaps a centrifugal pump capable of building enough pressure to get to around 40 psi let's say. You'd need a check valve in the line. Then have that pump pump water into a bladder style pressure tank that you can buy at big box stores. Then come out of that with your plumbing and shut off valves. You could plumb the line so you can have other water uses also.

As far as what pump you need to pump out your washer goes: You don't need one. It's already in the washer. (Unless we are talking old ringer washer here.) You would plumb a standpipe drain system with trap, and then onto your septic.

How far down is the water table as this plays into the whole thing.