Outdoor Faucet Handle Screw

Old 08-04-07, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Outdoor Faucet Handle Screw

I cant get the screw to budge on an outdoor faucet. The slot isnt very deep, and it just rounds off. I'm using a screwdriver with a nice tip, but this things old and wont budge. Can i take the whole assembly off while leaving the handle on? I'm just trying to replace the seat , its leaking. Any tricks? Heat? Ice? Sawzall..? lol. thanx for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-07, 10:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Last one I fought with, I used a pair of vise grips set real tight and grabbed hold of the outside of the screwhead. It gave me more torque to get the thing moving.

Old 08-04-07, 12:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I just had one of these myself. Luckily my super long screwdriver, with extra torque because of the torsion effect of the long shaft, enabled it to snap loose at about the time I was ready to crush the plastic handle, to expose about 1/8-1/4 inch more screwhead you then COULD get ahold of with vice grips.

Old 08-05-07, 04:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
To answer your question, yes, as long as you can get to the collar nut with a wrench, loosen it, and the stem will unscrew from its base. Make your repairs, reverse your order of removal and leave the screw alone. Or work with it once you have it out and in a better position, just don't scar any of the internal workings when you work on it.